Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I miss keeping and breeding these guys. All of the petstores in Nothern California stock only H carpintis. I remember when Carpintis where exotic and now The True Texan disappeared.

I feel in love with them again seeing a natural display of them at the CAS in San francisco. There must have been 100 of them of varying sizes of which where several large breeding pairs. It was fascinating to see them interact like wild fish. I miss their slate white and elegant black contrast. I love their dark eyes and the pleasure of seeing young subadults pair off and breed. So much charm! Who wants to ship me some.

Recently i discovered on youtube the variety that comes from Cuatro Cienegas. They are fascinating too!

If anyone knows what cyanoguttaus means please let us know :)

I love languages and I think it cyano is blue and guttatus is stomach but that doesnt fit the appearance so it leaves me unsatisfied.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We have some people breeding these in our cichlid club this side of the pond. But you are right, they aren't as plentiful as they once were.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi siklidluvervu,

Sorry, I cannot help with locating some cyanoguttatus. However, I wanted to reiterate that the cyanoguttatus (& gar) display tank at the SF Academy of Science is top notch. The molding of the background provides so many perfect nesting spots. Last time I was there I could not even count the number of breeding pairs there were in the tank.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
912 Posts
Actually, guttatus means speckled or spotted, which obviously makes a lot more sense! :lol:

I've also noticed that they seem to have almost completely vanished here in the Midwest as well, and we have heavy Cichlidiot influences in most of the larger cities here. I don't know if there are any at the Shedd in Chicago right now, but I don't recall seeing any the last time I was there (though that's been a few years). As fishguy said, a lot of them you see right now are hybrids, unfortunately.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Matt, it made me feel all kinds of happiness seeing the display. I could not help but wonder what they do when there are too many babies. I think I will write an email! I had a chance to chat with one of the biologist there Marc who was giving the talk during the phillipine reef tank feeding. He's cool.
Chromedome, thank you for expanding my knowledge of Latin!

Old Cat it must be a national crisis.

a young female in "stay away from my babies" coloration look how fierce she looks with that pale face and dark eyes!

·
Registered
308 Posts
That's weird I think carpintis are pretty rare because I've only saw one carpinits in a pet store there are tons of cyanoguttatus where I live in ohio and a lot of other places here would ordering them off the internet be an option

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
CHECK OUT Don Conkels tropical or TUIC (Tangled Up In Cichlids)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah TUIC is out of them, i should check out Don. It really is like fashion or produce. I go to the farmers market from time to time and sometime u really crave something out of season but i guess it would be more helpful to just use what is in season. that sits much better!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts