Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the tank wrecker. i gave my brother one of my old tanks and he ended up getting himself involved with an autatus lol i took him today to get more fish after hes had the tank for months. *** been given him some knowledge here and there and hes gonna go with the 1m - 4f setup. but he has an auratus. can you still do this with there aggressiveness and do you have to have the right tank mates to do them with as well? his plan is to do auratus, labs and kenyis.. will this work? alot of yellow i know.
let me know what you think.
i told him he just needs to get rid of the auratus but its his sons favorite fish so.. you know how that goes

·
Registered
43 Posts
The auratus and kenyi will work being that their both extremely aggressive however the yellow labs will not work their probably end up getting picked on their not as aggressive.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think with melanochromis he will need more like 1m9f. Maybe not with all, but certainly with auratus.

As a single it could go either way, you could get lucky or it could go terribly.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about kenyi with labs. I had to lose my kenyi male because he was on the verge of killing my male lab.

·
Registered
677 Posts
instead of Labs try and add Socolofi all with 1M:6F ration and it will be a lovely vibrant tank...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
56g.
thats not good news cause he has a few lil bitty labs in there, and i got him to get 2 bigger kenyis that were bigger than his auratus. (still juvis) *** never had a lab get picked on is why..
petsmart doesnt sale the powder blues here right now :/
i tried to get him to go with Acies but he insisted on the kenyis and labs

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
Kenyi and auratus are likely to be a problem in a 56G...what are the dimensions?

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
If I google aquarium 56 gallon I get something that is 30" x 18".

Too small for kenyi and auratus...really too small for many mbuna.

The smallest tank likely to succeed with kenyi and auratus is 48" x 18". Some people say go with at least a 72" tank for these aggressive mbuna.

Less aggressive, standard sized mbuna can do well in a 48" x 12" tank.

A single species of dwarf mbuna can do well in a 36" x 12" tank.

I would personally avoid going smaller for mbuna, but there are some experienced fishkeepers with a trio of labs and a trio of small, timid peacocks in a 30" tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts