Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the cichlid cover the babes have yellow food in their bellies, what is it?? Is is egg yolk?

Also, where did parachromis come from, it is not in any of my tepoot or axelrod or tfh books?
A link would be nice to this info, unless your fingers wanna go.

Thx :fish:

·
Registered
121 Posts
also I think that photo is not the original photo taken by the camera, they have intensified those blue and yellows on the fry to make a harmony with the texts on the cover.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
where did parachromis come from
Parachromis is Central American genus name. It's a bit miss leading in that we commonly associate names with "chromis" and "tilapia" with African cichlids.I expect to see this more in the future as cichlids are always being re-desribed and put into new general families.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Zane said:
Also, where did parachromis come from, it is not in any of my tepoot or axelrod or tfh books?Thx :fish:
Parachromis is a relatively new genus for some guapotes (e.g. P. dovii).

Parachromis species were previously known under Cichlasoma. Kullander and some others split the genus into many others. One of those is Parachromis.

Occasionally you will here the fish listed under Parachromis with a different genus, such as Hericthys or Nandopsis.

Art

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked it up here, thought the P. Mag looked alot like the C. Mag.
And it is. Thx for the confirmation.
I did as suggested with the question.
Word

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know where to find a cross reference for the old to new genus names?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Joels fish said:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know where to find a cross reference for the old to new genus names?
Some still call Parachromis "Cichlasoma". Some will call Parachromis "Ex-Cichlasoma". Experts spend hours of seminars debating what to call fishes and which genus to put them in. It's crazy.

Parachromis currently consists of:
1. Parachromis dovii, common name: Wolf Cichlid or Dovii
2. Parachromis managuense, common name: Jaguar Cichlid
3. Parachromis motaguense, common name: Red Tiger Mota or Tiger Mota or Gold Tiger Mota
4. Parachromis friedrichsthalii, common name: Freddy or Friedrichsthalii's Cichlid
5. Parachromis loiselli, common name: Loiselli or Loiselli's Cichlid
These are sometimes broken down further depending on the actual collection location. For instance, "Parachromis managuense, Lago Nicaragua Variety". This is just a jaguar from Lake Nicaragua. Or "Parachromis loiselli, La Ceiba Variety". Again, it's just the location in which they were collected.

I keep all these but the dovii. I think the Cichlasoma grammodes should probably be included in the Parachromis genus. They are commonly called the mini dovii and exhibit the looks and characteristics of it's common namesake.

Common names are probsbly the easiest way to talk about these (and most) cichlids so that everyone understands. I mean, everyone knows what a jaguar is, right? It's nice to know the scientific names to sound cool and impress your friends though. I try to include whatever the current scientific name the pros use along with the common name when talking about my fishes on the interwebz.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Some still call Parachromis "Cichlasoma". Some will call Parachromis "Ex-Cichlasoma". Experts spend hours of seminars debating what to call fishes and which genus to put them in. It's crazy.
You aren't kidding about that :roll: , that was why I was asking about a cross reference. Here I use common names because it's the easiest way to communicate with people (especially the noobs) . I like to stay current on the scientific names because I find it helpfull when doing research or reading stock lists from sellers that list them that way. If you know of a list of recent changes(for CA cichlids in general) let me know.

·
Registered
520 Posts
For a while a lot the fish in what is now called Parachromis, were located in the genus Nandopsis, but a couple years ago Nandopsis was restricted to the cichlids endemic to the Greater Antillies islands of Cuba and Hispaniola. Some of the literature you find older than a few years, will use that genus.
Nandopsis haitiensus

And Nandopsis tetracanthus

There is another, Nandopsis ramsdeni, but I've never seen one in the flesh(as of yet).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.