Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have added a couple of days ago a texas to my cichlids tanks and just notice it has white spots!

Not a lot just a few on the fins but enough to get me worried, i havent noticed any on other fish yet.

I jst raised the heater temperture to about 80 degrees would this be enough ?

Any advise please ? I prefer not to use medication unless it is needed

Thanks

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I would raise the temp gradually around 84 or so and treat with salt . Add an air stone to provide more oxygen. If problem persist I would seek other alternatives.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

So raising temp alone is not enough ? What kind of salt? Table salt? In what quantities?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I just had case of ich. It even spreaded to some of my delicate plecos. I raised them temp to 86-87 degrees and it cleared it up. The higher the temp the faster it destroys the life cycle. But do not go higher than 88 degrees.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys for the help, just when I thought all was solved by Green Terror is not having white spots ! (gone from my texas 3 days ago)

I have a 175 Galons tank heated by 2 x 300w heaters and I just raised the temp on both heaters to the max of 89 degrees (after going gradually up during the day)

Can my cichlids tolerate this temperature ? the cheap thermometer I have (the one you stick on the glass) still giving in the 80 range should I trust it ?

I have a mix of american and african (mallawi) cichlids

thanks

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I'd buy a few more cheap thermometers. With that size tank, it's good to know temps at different points in the tank anyway.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the tank is 280x60x45 cm do you thinking cichlids can take the temp of 89 ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tank temperature now is at 89 for the past 18 hours or so, my GT is still full of white spot but its behavior is totally normal swimming and eating normally

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been mixing cichlids (South American and Mallawi) for the past 7 years never had an issue with it, I really doubt that this is the problem, I was careless with the last fish I introduced in my tank

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Read up on the previously mentioned article. There are life stages for ich, once they disappear from the fish, it isn't over.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks GTZ !
My reply waas for someone who wrote that the problem is because I mixed african and american cichlids but the message was deleted somehow.

All white spots are gone from my GT it is now spotless I will keep the temp high for another 5 days or so

thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts