Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Chiller units but they are not cheap. You can make your own chiller from a running fridge or mini fridge that you can pick up 2nd hand. It requires drilling a hole in the side of the fridge where a coiled hose can be installed inside fridge. You then seal up the hole in the side of fridge with foam sealant. A submersible pump is used to pump water from the tank through the coiled hose in fridge and back to the tank. It is a closed loop. I built one before for an outdoor tank to bring it down a few degrees. With a DYI build like stated you may be able to get that tank temp down to mid 80's from 93 degrees. A dedicated aquarium chiller of the appropriate size will be much more efficient but also much more expensive.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I live in Texas it is 105 degrees outside my garage temped at 125 degrees. I'm new to the hobby and when I started to cycle 3 55 gallon tanks for breeding 1 month ago I did not take the heat into account. My tanks are now ready to add fish but the temp in them is at 93 degrees between 3-5PM. There is no way I can add a a\c window unit. Is there any tricks to bring my tank temp down.
You really should insulate the garage. You don't need a window for a small AC unit. They make AC units where all you have to do is drill a hole through the outside wall & unit attaches to inner wall of garage. My son-in-law did this in his garage and it works great. They have a theatre room in there now. It really would make a lot more sense (and cheaper) than aquarium chillers for each tank. It will totally convert your garage for multiple uses.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts