Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
This looks like you are planning on keeping this Texas Cichlid, as a 'Wet Pet'?
If so, cool!
Hericthys type Cichlids have a rather unfortunate tendency to destroy the tankmates kept with them.... :x
-
What is the size of your somewhat enigmatic Texas Cichlid's, new aquarium?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I am indeed keeping him. He will be a solo fish in a tank all his own. His new home is a standard 55 gallon. Eventually I may upgrade to a 75 but at his growth rate I decided to jump on a newer larger tank since he's doubled in size in a mere 2 months.

I've been told by a few people this looks like a hybrid. I'm still far too new to Texas cichlids to tell for sure. Either way I will continue to post update photos here so we can watch his change

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
The final decorations placed. I have two filters, a bubbler, sand substrate, a mix of rock, open water, floating cover plant and dimmed lighting to mimic a more natural environment.
You can see the cichlid in the center of the tank. He/she is VERY active and greedily eating and exploring the new home. A very nice upgrade.
Water Plant Vertebrate Green Organism

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
Oh my. That aquarium really IS an upgrade!
And you're right, 'Junior' is definitely growing up pretty quickly. :)
Hmmmmmm....just one thing?

*COUGH* ...background... *COUGH*

https://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/vie ... 7&t=453819
-
And definitely, that is indeed some visually nice aquascaping work. You build a nice tank.
But well, c'mon.... this new C-F celebrity needs a stage worthy of - THE SHOW, right? :D

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
Whew.... little Junior is definitely getting bigger. Looks like he's been spending some quality time in the weight room or something.
He's bulking up! :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
Oddly enough, the site made your picture come in upside down Click on it though, and everything shows normally. :)
And, wait-a-minit-...
Is that some new, live Anachris I see in there? Well, alrighty then! As info, you may have to keep things just a little on the cool side, with that plant species. I would set things up for a max of around 73 - 74 degrees or so. Lower temps that your little Texas should find okay, and will help to keep the Anachris green and hopefully growing strongly for you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Rio from a few nights ago. From Spring through until Autumn, this fish has really impressed me with its growth. He's packing on size and girth almost daily it seems at this rate. His coloration is beautiful and he's fully using the entire space in his 55 gallon tank. He used to hang near the bottom of the tank but is up down and all over the place.

Live plants and sand have really helped him come out and feel at home.
Underwater Fin Organism Fish Plant

21 - 35 of 35 Posts