Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I am an old member from I'd say 16 years ago?? I had to make a new acct.
Anyway, I kept a texas cichlid for almost a decade and I've really had an itch to get a tank going with some.

I have a 125, going to get a badass filter and I'd like to keep several Texas cichlids, my question is, what else can I put with them and how many would be recommended. I really like central Americans, but I wouldn't mind some dithers in there also, a term I recently learned.
Thanks. Look forward to being in here again.

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
Well then....
When you say you want to keep Texas Cichlid(s), along with some other (SA) cichlids. And... dither fish? In a 72" X 18", 125 gallon tank? Hmmmm.... maybe you could attempt that stocking arrangement, in some kind of indoor pond or something.
But really, I'd have to say that Herichthys cyanoguttatus is definitely not the New World Cichlid species for attempting that sort of stocking arrangement. These cichlids don't even keep well with others of their own kind - in the wild!
They really are a solitary living, very pugnacious species. :oops:
This thread may help,

https://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/vie ... 0&t=453455

Substitute the pair of Jack Dempsey's in that thread with a compatible pair of Texas Cichlids, and there you have it! :)
Though I would trust a pair of adult-sized JDs to get along better in the 125G, than a pair of Texas Cichlids. Probably be best to keep a tank divider handy, if/when things get violent in there. :eek:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Making sure you are referring to H.Cyano, the true Texas cichlid. A lot of folks, mistakenly, call the Carpintis a green Texas, when it's no Texas at all. I have had both flavors of fish. H. Cyano is indeed a full on goon, can maybe live with fish of its own temper. The Carpintis is a smaller, milder fish that can often be mixed with others. Just checking,lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts