Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I've known for a while that I'll be the proud recipient of two used tanks from a customer where I work (a 55 w/ all accessories and stand, and a 125 with stand), and will hopefully be getting them this week... Anyways... Just finally convinced the parents to let me set up the 55 in my room... (Had a 90 in there but after two "floods" from my python and a leak on the tank itself they decided to make me downsize)

My thoughts have always been that if I got a 55 that I'd do a male cyan...

I'm currently raising a baby convict in my 37 and have become kinda attached to the little fella, was wondering if possibly the Cyan with the convict would work in the 55...

My gut tells me that if I get what I want (which is a male texas and a male con) that this would result in WW3, but I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences (if any) with true texas cichlids, as well as them with convicts...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Well I'm about a step and a half in front of you. My 125 is currently housing 4 ebjd1 con and one Texas. The rest of the fish are dithers/loaches. The Texas is about 3.5" and the con is 2.5. The ebjd are in the same range maybe a bit bigger. The con and the Texas don't really interact to much. There are no problems with those two fish what so ever just with the jds.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I just worry about the 55 not being large enough for two fish with aggressive personalities. Let alone 2 males

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If they are young I would go for it, Texas cichlids are more bark then bite. It might work I have seen way crazier mixes work . I mean people house jds with cons all the time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Doesnt hurt to give it a try! My male Texas never really cared about the male Cons i had.

This was in a 75G. Though he would NEVER Tolerate my RD in the 125, but didnt care about the flowerhorn, weird! lol.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I would be hoping to get a Texas around 2-3", the convict is almost an inch now (raised from an egg).

Ps - should I expect a nuchal hump with the cyan?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have seen males with the hump but females not so much. So you have like a 50/50 chance. If you want a kok get a flowerhorn. They do fine in a 55 . Now with a con Im not too sure. I keep a flowerhorn in with a vieja in a 55 and no problems.

·
Registered
204 Posts
flowerhorns are great wetpets with lots of personality.
Though like all cichlids their temperaments vary.

I have 2 flowerhorns, ones pretty mild, whereas my other doesnt tolerate anyone,
big to small doesnt matter, he will chase you till u die lol.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
sjwrx said:
flowerhorns are great wetpets with lots of personality.
Though like all cichlids their temperaments vary.

I have 2 flowerhorns, ones pretty mild, whereas my other doesnt tolerate anyone,
big to small doesnt matter, he will chase you till u die lol.
+1 I totally agree. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nah I definitely want a texas, though in a few years I wouldn't mind a flowerhorn either haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts