Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was kind of covered in a post earlier regarding my 6.5g tank that is going to house Blue Ocellatus that I got a great deal on. I know Prov356 has used danios in the past as dithers to help bring his brevis out of hiding and so siphon up the fry. I was wondering if anyone has tried to house tetras in african tanks before?

I am just wondering if the high ph and hardness of water will be a problem for most tetras. Danios, I understand are pretty hardy so I am leaning towards them, but I am trying to explore all options.

Any help is appreciated as always! :thumb:

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have had great success keeping longfin zebra and leopard danios as well as boesemani rainbowbow fish. As far as tetras I have successfully kept Congo Tetras, Emporer Tetras, and Bloodfin tetras all in water with a pH of 8.2-8.4 and with a diet of strictly NLS pellets.

They were bought from a LFS who had them in water with a pH of 7.0-7.2 (I tested the LFS water and slowly acclimated over a couple hours by adding water from my tank to a 5gallon pale testing the pH and raising it slowly).

Depending on the size tank you are stocking and the cichlids you are keeping any of the ones I mentioned should do wonderful!! I am sure there are many others I havnt tried yet but the Congo and Emporer tetras are beautiful and get large enough to be off the prey list of your cichlids!

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 55 gallon currently houses a Multi colony and 9 breeding Congo tetras. I don't think you would have any problem keeping them with shellies. Only thing I would say is defiantly add something for them to hide in or around. I waited till my multis had 2 big sand piles then just added a few big fake plants and the tetras don't seem as spooked any more

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
Congo Tetras would do fine probably. Australian Rainbows would do even better, and might breed all the time. Be me two top choices. Neither would bother the cichlids much at all.

Most Cyprinids are very adaptive and could fit in, depending on what would interest you. Some Barbs might work.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I was always temping to add barbs to the tank but too many barb species are fin nippers. I have heard of using large tinfoil barbs as a way to reduce aggression amongst cichlids since the tinfoil barb is one of the few fish fast enough to outswim a cichlid and active enough to keep the cichlids chasing them rather than each other. Never tried this and think it might be kind of cruel to the barb though.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to stay away from the barbs because I am worried about their semi-aggressive nature. The tank is also just 6.5g so it would not be able to fit any kind of tinfoil or probably any barb for that matter.

I love the look of the congo tetras but I also understand they get quite big. Emperors are a great idea which I will have to look into.

Cardinals are the only other tetra I was thinking about. Does anyone know much about them, or if they could survive? :-?

Thanks for all the input so far, I am learning so much from the board here. :thumb:

·
Registered
310 Posts
a 6.5gallon tank is way to small for a school of emperor tetras. Remembers, almost all barbs, danios, and tetras are a schooling fish meaning you need to keep at LEAST 3 more preferably the minimum should be 5 or 6. The more the better, I've heard tetras should be kept in groups of odd number :? not sure if there is any truth to that I've kept even numbers without a problem. I am very liberal with tank sizes and keep species in smaller tanks than many forum members here would suggest, but even I have my limits :lol:

Cardinal tetras should work in hard water as long you you acclimate them slowly. They are very similar to neons but hardier and adapt easier IMO. You can tell the difference between the two by the red bellies, on a neon the red only extends about half the underside while on the cardinal it extends almost the whole way. The only problems with any of those smaller danios and tetras is they are darters and like to school in open water, wont be a lot of room for them in a 6.5g tank with shellies.
Best of luck, and remember what works for one might not for another so take our advice for what its worth but dont be afraid to push the boundaries and experiment a little.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
Really for a very small tank like that (6.5?) your ONLY choice would be a few common Danios. With Tetras you would need a larger group for them to feel comfortable. And the Tetras would never be really comfortable anyway.

This is a small tank, and the Ocellatus may attack the dither fish.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I think you are thinking well. It depends on the pH of your system what you can get away with. Or just go with your insticts get a danio that are as hard as nails and can tollerate your water.
I could go into why tertas are a bit sensitive with Tangs but some folk do have success with mixing em. No way is it something I would recomend without knowing your exact pH and KH. And even then (pH and KH low for Tang cichlids) the danios (Zebra etc) will prob do better for you.
And finaly Occies will do fine in a 6.5 g tank without dither fish. You only need em if you are impatient and want to see em out and about very early. It is perfectly natural for em to dive into cover or not be seen for two weeks when new. They will come out when hungry or ready to breed.
In all honesty this is kind of basic stuff.
All the best James

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the responses. After reading the responses it appears that I will be sticking with maybe 4 zebra danios for dithers. Obviously 6.5 is a small tank and I do not want to create any issues in my tank.

I would be buying them in order to bring out the fish from hiding as well as a fry vacuum. I do not plan on actively keeping a lot of fry, and the way I understand it, should I get a pair they will begin to pump out fry like rabbits.

I will try to post some pics as soon as my occies come in.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've had a few different types of tetras with my occies in my 20gal. Currently I have some silvertips, and a couple others that I don't recall the names of. In the past I had black neons, regular neons, and glowlight. Also had danios. But I don't like them. Neons didn't last long at all. Part of that was due to a golden algae eater that was a little aggressive. Other tetras got along just fine with the occies. I bought my occies at the same time as some tetras and the fish store guy said, "You aren't keeping these in the same tank, are you?" I said of course not! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.