Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently cycling my 55 gal for an african cichlid aquarium. All of my prior experience was mainly with ponds, so I had koi, they were very hardy and the custom made biofilter worked great, so I never tested the water.

Now testing is important, but the problem is I'm partially color blind, not that I can't see colors but some shades throw me off, so I have an incredibly hard time determining the different levels. During cycling I'm supposed to start at certain levels given in ppm. I can't figure out what color the KH is to know where I am, so I'm kind of guessing.

So my question is....Do they make kits available for people like me? Are there digital kits?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I know for sure they make digital Ph testers because I have one of those, and I also know I have seen digital Nitrate testers, but other than those two I really can't recall ever seeing other testers for aquarium use that were digital.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you looked at the JBL Pro Scan Kit? It's similar to what hospital laboratories use to read dipstix for human testing. The idea being that timing is as important as is color vision, which varies from person to person. This system uses an app on the phone. When you dip the stick in the water, you press the phone button and when the time is up you photograph the dipstick. The image is sent off to be read and results come back. Even keeps a log of test history. I haven't bought it yet, but am sure considering it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.