Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I set up my aquarium, I bought the API Freshwater Master Test Kit (PH, High Range PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate). Well I kept forgetting to shake bottle 2 for the Nitrate test, so I figured I was getting inaccurate reading for my Nitrate. So I went out and bought just the API Nitrate test kit. When I opened it up, I noticed that the color charts were slightly different, in particular the colors 5/10/20 ppm. 20ppm is really different in the master kit, it's a dark orange, in the single kit its red. Has anyone noticed this before? Just curious as to which is correct, I would think that seeing its from the same manufacturer the charts would be identical.

Little hard to see in the picture, but there is a definate color difference in the 20ppm, what I would read as 20ppm on the single kit is 40ppm on the master kit.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Ever notice how much the color on your fish look different then what it shows on a printed picture? Colors and printing just are not that good. What the eye sees and the cameras and printers show are not the same. Even looking at the colors under different light makes a big difference. That leaves it pretty much a quess so we have to set some standard way in our mind. I use one special light to read the colors under and then it is not any of the colors, just a guess as to between two colors. Not that important as long as it stays the same.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
They have changed the color charts. Use the chart that came with the bottles. The master kit I recently purchased has one large chart for all tests, and yes, some of the colors have changed. It's no better or easier to discern than the old charts, so not sure why the change.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I would imagine they changed them to match a change in the test liquid and therefore a difference in color results. Curious to see if there's any final color difference between the new and old bottles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have just started using a new API ammonia test kit. The color chart has changed from the old API ammonia test kit I have been using. I have yet to get a new test results to match the new color chart. The new drops DO match the color of the old color chart though. I use the old chart for the consistency of colors in relation to the tests.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I was hopeful when I saw the new card that they had finally gotten it right and you could now always discern one color from another. Not the case. They just changed the colors that you can't tell apart. Go API. :roll: You can still tell what you need to though, pretty much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts