Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,171 Posts
I'm really sorry that happened. :(
But....
In moving forward (so this doesn't happen again or to anyone else), maybe we can work through some W's?
  • WHY? Latex paint is typically pretty non-toxic. A little ventilation and a respirator (breathing paint particulates or sanding dust) are usually all you need when using the stuff. Did you have the painters put down 'Kilz' or something as a primer first, before going with the main coat of paint? Some high-quality paint primers such as Kilz, are known to be highly toxic.
  • WHEN? Did the toxic effects on your fish occur almost immediately after the painting began?
  • WHERE? If there is more painting in the house to be done, is there a suitable place you can possibly move/quarantine your fish temporarily?
  • WHAT? I've done latex painting in the house with my own fish, and not suffered such disastrous consequences before (used a paint brush and roller though - no spraying). Is there a way you can still have the house painted safely without going through this again? What would you do differently?

·
Super Moderator
6,171 Posts
Hmmmmm.....
What do you think I should do to prep the 90 gallon for the fish to be brought back when all the painting is done?
Okay then. You have a real Fish Killer in the water of that aquarium. Best not to take chances or 'cut corners'... So, I would personally do the following:
  • Push 2, 100 percent water changes through this (now empty?) tank to get things started.
  • Get a LOT of activated carbon/charcoal and run that through your filtration (bagged). Carefully pull some of the established media out of your filtration to accommodate the activated carbon/charcoal, (place that established media back in the tank in a mesh bag if particulate type. If foam, just let those pieces bump and flow around as they please in the tank)
  • Run the activated carbon/charcoal through for a minimum of three to four days (more days won't hurt).
  • Pull ALL of the activated charcoal out, and place the established media back into your filtration.
  • One more 100 percent water change.
  • Then place your single survivor (Yo-Yo Loach?) in there for a full week. Observe closely... If there are no ill effects on that fish?
  • Start things over again!

• Helpful
Reactions: Fish&CatLover
1 - 2 of 2 Posts