Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our kitchen repainted while we were on vacation this past week. I just came home after a week to find almost all of my tank dead. It is so tragic! I didn’t know that the paint fumes could poison the water! What a horrible night. I feel so terrible for my fish. I lost about 15 beautiful cichlids. So discouraging.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Happy to help make sure this doesn’t happen to anyone else!

I’m not sure what primers they used but I’ll ask and update here. They did spray it on so maybe that is the difference!

It didn’t happen right away, we had neighbours check a few times and they said the fish looked great and even sent photos. It was all the big fish that died. The smaller (1 YO) fish seem to have survived.

We do have more painting to be done so we moved the remaining fish to a small spare tank in our basement. I’m a bit worried because it wasn’t properly cycled, but better than the toxic tank. For context we went from having a full 90g to a full 10g.

What do you think I should do to prep the 90 gallon for the fish to be brought back when all the painting is done?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! I think it also didn’t help that because I was away one quarter of the glass was up to allow for the automatic feeder to drop in food. What a shame 😥
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top