Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think the plants would take a knock as well. Its a cool idea for fish that don't burrow and try to carry plants from one side of the tank to the other to eat them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, forgot to mention there'll be no plants in mine, at least not real ones.

I've had planted tank for ages but thanks to a now 9 month old little one I have very little time to spend looking after the plants.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you're doing it for aesthetics, I'd say go for it. Flat plains of sand in-between rockwork would create a pretty interesting sense of depth.

But I'd add maybe use the same substrate to avoid undesirable mixing.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I've not done it on a large tank but only in a twenty. Due to size, my dividing wall was much lower. I cutt the edge from limestone rocks and lined them to divide the planted with gravel/Flourite mix and the unplanted with sand. In a small tank, it has only had small fish. Young hap ahli, rainbow cichlids and yellow labs have all passed throught at one time or other. It was a way for me to work into planted tanks without fully committing! Seemed to work okay until I was given giant swords which grow too tall and float around the top. Otherwise, no trouble with digging, eating plants, etc. Choose plants and fish carefully and then----Go for it. What is the worst that can happen. You disappoint us all?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Check out the tank of the month section May of 2003, not sure how it worked long term and I am not really sure if I like it or not, but it's different and may give you some ideas?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've been thinking of terracing like this for quite some time.
Does anybody know if "black lawn edging" is safe to use in an aquarium.

It would be very easy to create terrace shapes, then back fill with sand.
The edging could be hid with rock, or covered with in GE Silicone I. and rolled in sand or matching substrate.
Weighting the edging down would be no problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.