Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago, I made a 3D back ground out of Styro and Cement for my 90 gallon Tropheus tank. Im the past few years, the troheus have nibbled at the cement, plucking an occasional piece of algae. In doing so, they have managed to find a few places of weak-bonded cement and started to tear it off the styro, and even dug out some of the styro as well. This leaves my dark background with big white gaping holes in it. Very unattractive.

I am planning another background in another tank, which I will move these fish to and then replace this background (I know . . . DRYLOCK!!). Trouble is, that the new tank to move them to is probably about 6 months from being ready. Any ideas how to hide these holes would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to try anything except the "drain and patch with cement method."

Thanks in advance,

Matt

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've done a few backgrounds and had some minor issues - normally the algae will grow back over them.

As far as a fix - not sure what would really work well to cover it up. If it gets too bad, would it work to just take it out since you are going to move the fish in a relatively short amount of time?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some of these holes are "golf ball" size, and algae never seems to want to grow on the styro. I hope to have the other tank ready in that time period, but since this tank is in the living room, I was hoping for an idea to make it not look so trashy until after the other tank is done.

I have jammed some plactic plants into some of the gaps in the past, but they are the cheap kind, and are thick, and have a tendancy to work their way out of the styro. Are there other materials that look natural that could be attatched to the back ground in patches?

·
Registered
970 Posts
How about real rocks? Buy some of that glue that is safe to use under water, might just be marine epoxy... I don't know but you can try that. Try to find flat rocks or maybe even make some yourself like you did your background but instead of cement use Drylok and glue them. That shouldn't take more than 3 days...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have some concrete that came in buckets, it is premixed and works under water. It's designed to be able to use to patch holes where there is running water. I have used it to patch a concrete background while there was water and fish in the tank. No issues. Got mine at Lowes or Home Depot.

Here it is: Quikrete Hydraulic Water-Stop Cement
http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/Hy ... entPro.asp

1 - 5 of 5 Posts