Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
I have a pair of Temporalis in a 20 G tall by themselves with some fry for about 2 months now. Just yesterday, the female is hiding behind the heater and filter with the male chasing her around. I haven't seen this before but before I jump to any conclusions, is this normal behavior for mating with Temporalis? Her stomach does look a little round so maybe she's sick and doesn't want him near her. But when I get close to the glass she darts back under her rock. Didn't eat last night, and I decided to with hold food this morning. Any help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
It's hard to imagine a pair of Hypselecara temporalis in a 20 gallon high tank. How big are they and where did the fry come from? This non African species can get up to 12" long. So I hope you have Telmatochromis temporalis, an African cichlid from Lake Tanganyika. A pair in a 20 would work. I have not had them since my last move five years ago, but they had a lot of rockwork in the old house. There were a lot of crevices between the sort of flat rocks and fry grew up with the pair. I never put snail shells in with mine, but you could try that. They are hard to sex, and not very cute or colorful, but have a lot of personality. I remember the fry playing endlessly. Here is a link to our species profile here. https://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/ ... hp?id=2273 I had room and well water at the old house so I was able to feed them lots of live daphnia, a food not very different from their natural diet in the lake.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I think they mean Telmatochromis temporalis.

Two months with fry is a long time, I think they need to be separated from the fry if you want them to spawn again. Being fat usually means she's full of eggs again, but with the fry still there she might not feel the urge to spawn.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Mr Chromedome said:
I think they mean Telmatochromis temporalis.

I'm sure they do mean the 4 inch long Tanganyikan cichlid. Just had to visualize two 12 inch fish in a 24 inch tank before getting down to the subject at hand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.