Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a water change and the aquarium is now 68 degrees F with the ambient temperature in my basement 76 degrees. I just plugged in the heaters at 1:24PM EST. I want to see how long it will take to get to 78 degrees F. I'm using two 800W titanium heaters in the sump...tank is a bit over 500 gallons. I'll check again in two hours.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Would love to see pictures of said giant...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL...sorry guys...could not get away from the job to complete the post! I was able to pass by and notice that around 4PM the temperature was up to about 69.4 but got swamped with work after that. It is at 80 now so my experiment is shot :( Trying to post the pics this morning :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, these have to be the worst pictures ever but I tried...

Trimac, Argentea, Neet here...

Three Umbees and Argentea with Trimac off to the right...

But back to the original post reason...now that it is summer I am usually able to unplug the heaters. For a while I was using two seperate temperature controllers on the heater wands but the sales chap from Jemcho advised they had a unti that would support both. After he explained it to me it made much more sense. I was sold. I do more frequest water changes but change less water at a time so the drop in temperature is not too severe (like I did yerterday). It will get warmer yet here in the mid-Hudson Valley in New York so water from the tap will get warmer also.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Beautiful. I can see the dollar signs on all that malaysian driftwood too.

While I am in Texas where it gets pretty warm, 100 degrees yesterday, I don't use heaters at all. Tanks stay at 78-80 in my house which has the thermostat set at 72. I own one heater and its unplugged. I don't trust them either.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Very Nice tank! One question tho, why dont you use warmer water right from the tap so your not dealing with these temp changes?

I guess I could see with amount of water volume it would reek havoc on the water heater, power bill, etc...... but am just curious is all.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
xxbenjamminxx said:
Very Nice tank! One question tho, why dont you use warmer water right from the tap so your not dealing with these temp changes?

I guess I could see with amount of water volume it would reek havoc on the water heater, power bill, etc...... but am just curious is all.
xxbenjamminxx - Thanks and you are 100% right. I do use the hot water and mix with water from the outside spigot/tap but the hot water runs out after a while...BUT...it does allow for a less drastic swing in water temperature. I know 80 degrees may be a bit warm for the inhabitants but that is whee I keep it for the most part.

@ RRasco - I wish I could use the heaters less...I do look forward to the summer months for that very reason. And you are soooo right regarding the driftwood...why did you have to bring up bad memories?

@ Flippercon - thanks...I just cannot take better pictures!

I have seen on these forums formulas for calculating amount of heating wattage needed to raise temperature from X to X+Y with water being W and ambient temperature being A. I would like to see how close I am to that formula one day. Perhaps this coming saturday I will try again...but hopefully with less temperature raise needed.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Notrevo said:
@ RRasco - I wish I could use the heaters less...I do look forward to the summer months for that very reason. And you are soooo right regarding the driftwood...why did you have to bring up bad memories?
I only know from experience. Malaysian is just so nice it's hard not to want to use it and its always worth it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.