Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am interested in Telmatochromis temporalis cichlids, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these fish. How difficult are they to breed? And does anyone knew of any dealers or breeders that would have these fish in North America?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
656 Posts
They are fairly mean, so it's best to give them their own tank, or they will very likely kill tankmates when breeding time comes. Breeding should'nt be too difficult, provide them with shells, a good diet of cichlid food + some mysis or krill for a little extra protein, and ultra clean water. Keep in mind that , depending on tank size, it may be best to keep only one male.

I don't know who ships fish to canada, but check the lists of the dealers on internet annd make a few phonecalls. If you can't find them pm me and I'll help you track them down.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i just got 4 temporalis shell and looks like i have 2 pairing off. i am keeping them in with a pair of calvus and some ventrilis for now. they were thrown in on a deal so i had to put them in there the pair will be getting there own tank. i wouldnt say there mean but they can deffently take care of themselves i would not house them with fish smaller than them that is for sure.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
woogie0004 said:
i just got 4 temporalis shell and looks like i have 2 pairing off. i am keeping them in with a pair of calvus and some ventrilis for now. they were thrown in on a deal so i had to put them in there the pair will be getting there own tank. i wouldnt say there mean but they can deffently take care of themselves i would not house them with fish smaller than them that is for sure.
You just got them, they don't have fry yet? I think it is a premature to declare what their behaviour is, until they've spawned and have a bunch of fry. Like most substrate spawners, the behaviour before and after fry are somewhat different.

·
Registered
90 Posts
they have spawned noticed some tiny fry in the tank today i dont expect these guys to make it long with the others in the tank.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
woogie0004 said:
they have spawned noticed some tiny fry in the tank today i dont expect these guys to make it long with the others in the tank.
Expect to be shocked then... perhaps the first spawn, but these fish are very good at raising their fry in a community tank, and the fry are survivors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts