Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is hard to find much information of this species. I researched as much as I could before I bought them but in the end I could not resist the little guys. They seem to be adjusting to life in my 400 gallon quite nicely. Has anyone kept this species before. I am most curious about size and sexing.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
The males can get to 4-5", females are substantially smaller in length and weight. They can be extremely aggressive when they have paired up and spawned. What else are you keeping in this aquarium?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the help Foglehund, You helped me when I first got into cichlids seven or eight years ago. It is a 400 gallon tank that was going to be Haps and peacocks but I added these little guys. I am still stocking the tank so its only inhabitants are a trio of Eureka reds, a trio of Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan", 30 danios, 10 clown loaches and 2 bristle noses. 3/4s of the tank is "open" water with large pieces of holey rock, but the back corner is a large pile of holey rock with shells around the base. Currently everybody seems to get along unless they get too close to the shells. I thought these guys stayed under 3 inches so I figured they would be kept in check, but if not I have a 125 gallon Mbuna setup that I have cleared out and only has a couple yellow labs in it that would suit the Scribbles well if the big tank doesn't work out. I will be loading up some pictures this afternoon because my other issue is that there are pictures of a variety of fish under this name.

·
Registered
414 Posts
they have serious jaws and teeth, but you tank probably has enought space so that the others can avoid them...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So for starters do I have the identification correct, and second is the lighter one the male? Again thanks for the help.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ tranced You're telling me, they are only an inch long and the fangs on those little baddies are scary, and they puff up their gills when they bare them for extra effect.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
those look different than what I have though unless they go through a dramatic change. The body shape is similar but the fins are different and the colors are way off but then again I could have juveniles. Also I think the third fish appears to be a female mating with the "victor" of the fight

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Based on Fogelhund's description and the fact that the pictured fish are hanging out together while the third is staying near a separate rock; I am thinking that the darker one is a male and the smaller yellow one is a female, which means I have two males and one female. The lfs told me the opposite. :roll: Do you agree?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well I have a bottle trap in the tank and one fish has allready been moved to the 125. They were staking out a huge territory and haven't even begun to spawn yet.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So now that I am moving them to 125 any suggestions for tank mates, currently there are a few yellow labs, 2 catfish, and 2 bristlenose plecos

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had a feeling you would say that.... oh well I have a 35 gallon set up I just need to find somewhere to put the turtle.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
all three are in the 125 right now and I have noticed a unique behavior. The two that paired off were the first to be caught and they were able to coexist with the labs. The male would face off with the labs, and it would be an even stare down and both fish would turn around and leave each other alone. I dropped the third fish in there and witnessed a five minute war that involved shaking, puffing of gills, chasing and stunning color changes. So apparently I was given 2 males and 1 female. The sub-dominate male is now in a breeders net and will be exchanged for a female tomorrow. Now that there is only the pair in the tank again everything is calm once more. I am LOVING these fish and hope my experience will help others enjoy this unique fish.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts