Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Last year you good folk advised me upon setting up my new tang tank. *** recently made some changes and wanted to share the old and new pics with you - the link is to a facebook album but it should work - fingers crossed!

Its a 76l long with recently added 900l p/hr canister filter, new lighting, planting and aquascaping - the fish seem to be enjoying it - what do you think??

Im pleased with it :D

Kiara x

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=237291&id=761388981&l=ccb605792a

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks yeah you can sure tell the new light tube has made a world of difference - it certainly is the last four pics :)

I currently have a pair of sunspot brevis doing very well and two cauds who are enjoying the new rockwork. One of the cauds keeps lurking around a shell - i wish i hadnt ended up with two males - i might try and obtain a female....

What are your thoughts? It does seem very empty... i thought about getting another brevis pair, some more cauds or something different. I like the sumbu dwarf but *** yet to find any for sale.... any suggestions for suitable tankmates? Im open to ideas

K :thumb:

·
Registered
929 Posts
A 76l is a 30 inch tank? If so, I’d be inclined to keep it at two Tanganyikan species and a non-tang dither. Another pair of brevis and some more caudos (to try for a pair) sounds like a good plan to me. Then to make the tank feel less empty, maybe toss in some zebra danios to swim around in the open water.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah its 30 long by 12.5 deep by 15 high - i calculated 76l which should be boosted by the enormous external canister filter it now has :D

Yes i want to try and get some female cauds so i might introduce a few more to get a pair, after thay i could consider another brevis pair.... i keep thinking about zebra danios but the purist in me keeps telling me they dont belong in there - i know its stupid lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plus just to clarify would all varieties of danio be suitable - such as the longer finned or spotted? How will they cope with the PH? The water movement is good so thats a bonus - thanks :thumb:

·
Registered
189 Posts
kiaratrak said:
Thanks yeah you can sure tell the new light tube has made a world of difference - it certainly is the last four pics :)

I currently have a pair of sunspot brevis doing very well and two cauds who are enjoying the new rockwork. One of the cauds keeps lurking around a shell - i wish i hadnt ended up with two males - i might try and obtain a female....

What are your thoughts? It does seem very empty... i thought about getting another brevis pair, some more cauds or something different. I like the sumbu dwarf but I've yet to find any for sale.... any suggestions for suitable tankmates? Im open to ideas

K :thumb:
The latter pics. are a lot brighter, nice clean set up you have there, nice :thumb:
If you do decide to go with some Dwarf Sumbu I have fry here :fish:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats sounds interesting - you are very far away from me though - Im in Lincolnshire - how would you get the juvvies to me?

Kiara x

·
Registered
189 Posts
kiaratrak said:
Thats sounds interesting - you are very far away from me though - Im in Lincolnshire - how would you get the juvvies to me?

Kiara x
only thing I can think of is overnight delivery by APC ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats an interesting offer thank you - i may have to increase my tank size... im not sure - it depends how things go presently - let me know when they are ready please x

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Beautiful setup. I find I like lighting that makes the sand look whiter also. Is this the one that you added the goby to? I think the only challenge you're going to have is keeping everything looking pristene once the algae decides to get going. Have you considered an algae cleaner of some type.

I know they do better is soft water, but can't help but think how great a group of neon tetra's would look in there. Maybe consider one of the rainbowfish that come from harder waters.

Beautiful cat. Is it a ragamuffin?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Prov I surely couldnt put neon tetras in a hardwater set up - wouldnt they die very quickly?

Yes this is the tank i have added the goby to - as yet *** not seen any problems today although equally he hasn't come out yet - i hope he comes out to feed at some point. All the fish now keep going to peep at him lol

I agree im a big fan of high lighting - this tube is 18,000k i think full spectrum marine. I hope to get a bigger set up when im able - i was telling my dealer about my love of crytocara moorii and he thinks they could work with my current occupants in a bigger system - i tend to agree

Im hoping between plants, filtration, light control, water change and the goby to slow any algae growth - but i have vivid memories of my 400l malawi tank that i was constantly removing the rocks from to scrub clean or rotate lol - man it was tedious but i was determined to keep it gleaming lol

The cat is a mog :lol: just a medium long haired tortoise shell. Got her from a rehoming centre - she was abandoned with her kittens - bless.

:)

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Prov I surely couldnt put neon tetras in a hardwater set up - wouldnt they die very quickly?
Depends on your water parameters, yes. If it's moderately hard and not super hard, they could adapt. May not be practical at all, but that's just what I pictured when I saw your setup. I'm working with some now to see how they do as dithers. Our tap water pH is about 7.8, KH is about 4-5, and GH is about 7. So, we'll see.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for your advice regarding the turkey baster for the tank Prov - *** just ordered one from Amazon - it says its an ounce or 30ml which im hoping is the right size - *** tried to choose the one with the biggest opening - people use these to extract fry also i heard?

Looking forward to trying it out :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts