Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been browsing the net looking for information on CA & SA cichlids in the hope of starting up again. 30 - 35 years ago I had CA cichlids, and reading books (no WWW widely available then) all seemed to be Cichlasoma this or Cichlasoma that, along with the more commonly used names such as Jaguar, Black Belt, Firemouth etc etc. Now everything is being re classified at the drop of a hat, I was wondering what is the most complete and up to date go to guide for CA & SA cichlids on the net ? I have been dabbling with AqAdvisor, but I am unsure if the fish selected for a tank are for their compatibility as fish mass for a given size tank, or whether it takes into account their compatibility in general attitude to each other. There seems a lot of conflicting data out there, and I don't want to stock a tank and find I end up with bouillabaisse .

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
You concerns sir, are indeed legitimate.
And, because of site problems (Admin Level), I have not been able to update Cichlid-forum with the most up-to-date species classification data available.
This is definitely not good. :(
-
But for now, what offers possibly the most current fish species classification information on WWW? I recommend 'Fish Base'.

https://www.fishbase.se/search.php.

Someone may offer some different species search classification info for you, but that is the best one I have found and been using, so far.

·
Super Moderator
1,837 Posts
Another option is cichlidae.com which requires a yearly paid subscription to view species details regarding taxonomy and the historical info. However you can view pics of the various species and limited info without a subscription. It's also not a good resource for stocking questions and mixing various species like a forum would be.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Fishbase is a great resource for info on fish in general, but Cichladae.com is probably a better resource for current scientific names of cichlids since its a site devoted to cichlids. You really don't need a subscription to access its lists and much of it's info; only for more details ect.

·
Registered
936 Posts
TrickyD said:
I have been browsing the net looking for information on CA & SA cichlids in the hope of starting up again. 30 - 35 years ago I had CA cichlids, and reading books (no WWW widely available then) all seemed to be Cichlasoma this or Cichlasoma that, along with the more commonly used names such as Jaguar, Black Belt, Firemouth etc etc. Now everything is being re classified at the drop of a hat, I was wondering what is the most complete and up to date go to guide for CA & SA cichlids on the net ? I have been dabbling with AqAdvisor, but I am unsure if the fish selected for a tank are for their compatibility as fish mass for a given size tank, or whether it takes into account their compatibility in general attitude to each other. There seems a lot of conflicting data out there, and I don't want to stock a tank and find I end up with bouillabaisse .
It's all Sven Kullander's fault. Back in 1987 he wrote a paper that said most Cichlasoma species weren't actually Cichlasoma, and it all fell apart from there. Took over20 years to get everything sort of named and into the new order, and they're still working on some of it. A lot of people didn't notice at the time that he also screwed up Aequidens. Hey, it kept the ichthyologists busy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts