Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we set up the tank back in April, we stocked with 4 Danio's and the last one bit the dust on Friday night some time. I purchased 6 more Danio's on Saturday to use as target fish. Here it is Thursday and I'm down to 2 that have 1/2 their tail fins left.

I was told that I should try a tetra that is more aggressive and will do a better job of holding its own. Any thoughts?

My tank is stocked with Red Zebras, Yellow Labs, and Demasoni. Unfortunately I started with 12 Dems and am down to 4 or 5. I don't know what they had but they dropped one by one. Never lost a red zebra or a yellow lab. Just those dems. I'm searching for more locally without having to pay shipping and putting them through that stress. They just didn't do well being shipped.

And an interesting thing. I read somewhere (I think in an article here on the forum) that these guys like veggies. I've been feeding them frozen peas, broccoli, romaine lettuce, and yellow squash. WOWZA!!! You should see them go after the frozen peas! They LOVE them! Cleans them out too! It's such fun to watch. I just take the frozen peas and stick them in warm water to thaw. Then squeeze them out of the shell into the tank. (they won't eat the shell anyway) Once they figured out that they like them, it's a total frenzy when I drop the peas.

They also like the romaine, squash, and broccoli. I just drop a little broccoli tree to the bottom but I clip the romaine and squash so they hold still for them. Other than fresh romaine, I use all frozen veggies (but I do boil the broccoli in the microwave a bit to soften it up).

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
You shouldn't need a target fish with mbuna. Did the Demasoni kill each other, or was it an illness like bloat? What numbers do you have for the zebras and labs? What size is your tank?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think bloat or something like that got them.

I have 5 red zebra, 6 labs, and I have 4 or 5 dems. (I haven't fed them yet today and have LOTS of rock in my tank so I haven't seen the 5th yet).

Maybe it was a Tiger Barb that was recommended. I think that's what it was.

I don't "KNOW" if I need target fish or not. But the way they go after those danio's makes me wonder if they will do it to each other if I don't have something in there for them to "play" with.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
What are the dimensions of your tank?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 45 tall. I think it is 36 wide by 12 deep.

My intention was to overstock my tank to prevent territories. Didn't work out too well when my dems all started dropping one at a time.

They are still relatively small aside from 1 red zebra that seem to be growing real well. But he's not aggressive (yet). None of them chase anyone relentlessly and other than the danios's I rarely have nipped fins. I wonder if that's just cause they have something to chase though. I am not sure I want to remove the target fish all together to find out.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would focus on getting more demasoni and forget about the dither fish. There is no need for them.

I really think you're going to need to remove one species (most likely the red zebras) once they begin to sexually mature.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I knew going into it I'd likely have to remove one. But my husband was determined to add the red zebras for color. I figure once sexual maturity and some intense aggression, he'll force me to remove them to save the rest of the fish. In the meantime, there is peace in my home.

Just gotta find more dems!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Just thought I'd add a photo of my fish. Their tank got a re-arrange today. So far... so good. :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Wow that tank has awsome color!!!!!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Target fish. Won't get into the ethical issues here, but mbuna don't need them.

Cichlids don't need target fish, if you know how to keep them. Dithers, maybe. Dithers are to make them less shy. Mbuna are not shy.

Your demasoni, I'd bet quite a bit on, killed each other. I'd bet your 1 dom male killed all of the ones that have died.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Rather than add barbs, I'd remove the zebras (because it's a 36" tank) and add Demasoni. Are you sure the bloat epidemic is well in the past? It can linger for a month or so until it claims it's next victim.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts