Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I have a 40 gallon breeder aquarium (36" x 18") that has a pair of Buescheri Golds in it. (A trio at the moment, but the third wheel is on her way back very soon). Could you give me some suggestions for possible tankmates for the pair?

I was thinking of adding a few (~6) Gold Occelatus, but I wouldn't mind having something that takes up a little of the open space as well. What do you think?

A pair of Altolamps?
A few Paracyps?
A small hap from another lake? (Ruby Greens / Peacocks / etc)
Random dither? (Cherry barbs / Rainbowfish / etc).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I wish you the best luck in this endeavour. ... but it isn't going to be easy.

Put all the rocks at one end... home for the buescheri, stacked high. Put some visual barriers in the middle of the tank... Vallisneria for example.

Put a couple of shells, and rocks at the other end. Telmatochromis sp. Temporalis shell

I can't come up with anything else (cichlids) in such a small tank.

You could try some dithers, guppies, danios that type of thing.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fogelhund said:
I wish you the best luck in this endeavour. ... but it isn't going to be easy.
Yeah, I would love to have a larger tank here, but anything bigger wouldn't fit on my desk in the office.

Fogelhund said:
Put a couple of shells, and rocks at the other end. Telmatochromis sp. Temporalis shell
Why the recommendation of the telmatochromis rather than the occies I mentioned before? Are the buescheri too aggressive for Occelatus? Just curious.

Fogelhund said:
You could try some dithers, guppies, danios that type of thing.
That's what I'm leaning towards. I've read differing opinions about whether paracyps would work in so short a tank, so I probably won't want to try that.

Thanks for the quick response!

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
starplayer summed it up, the Temporalis can fight back.

Paracyps would fit in a tank of your size, but get demolished by the buescheri.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I tossed 4 buescheri into a grow out in a 36'x14' tank I set up at work, with 3 elec blues (about 6cm) and 3 elec yellows. A pair formed in the first few weeks and I have a 4 little fry now about 6 weeks later.

I removed the other 2 buescheri, and the remaining fish pretty well occupy one half of the tank and the buescheri the other. Even the bristlenosed aren't allowed up the buescheri's end of the tank (I'm contemplating removing the buescheri pair and putting them in a 2fter at home on their own).

Mine aren't overtly aggressive, but the other fish know their place.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just noticed that the buescheri are listed with lots of other tank mates in the cookie cutter setups. Agreed:

1) Many on this forum have indicated that the cookie cutter setups are recipes for disaster (Someone might want to fix that)

and

2) Just about everyone who talks about buescheri dictates that they need "well defined territories", which is really difficult to do in a 3ft tank.

I've been kicking around the idea of converting my 125 into a Tanganyikan tank (it's an all male peacock / hap tank now). Maybe I'll just play this office tank by ear and see what happens. If the buescheri turn into tank destroyers, it would be pretty easy to re-home them in a much larger tank with fish that can stand up for themselves.

Thanks for all of your feedback though guys. Before chatting with you I had no idea that these little fish could be such serious time bombs.

If I end up swapping them out of the mix, how would ~6 gold occies, a pair (or trio) of altolamps, and some julies sound in this particular tank?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Are you suggesting that trio in the 3ft or the 125g? If its the 125g then should be ok.

3 species in a 3ft is tricky. You probably wont have enough floor for 6 occies with rocks for the others. Additionally the rockdwellers can be quite secretive and I always find that they benefit from dithers. I would want an office tank to be relatively active and have found caudopunks the best for this in a 3ft. Add some tetras and your pr of altos and I think it will look well. It is your tank though and you could try a pr Juli ornatus, pr Alto comp sumbu shell and pr occies. It may work.

·
Registered
66 Posts
6 occies in a 3ft may be trouble too.

I don't mind the idea of a shellie, alto and juli, but maybe go for brevis, alto and Juli ornatus, or caudo (not a true shellie), alto, juli ornatus. But depending on the temperament of your fish, it may be a little tight in there.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the feedback.

I picked up four Julidochromis transcriptus bemba today, and the Buescheri are on their way back to my house tonight.

I had no idea that the Buescheri got so nasty, but the pair was already starting to claim a wide area around the big rock piles, so I figured it was time to make a switch.

I'm hoping for a pair with the Julies, and I'll be adding some gold occellatus shellies when my LFS can get them in. Maybe not 6 if you all think that's too many. Maybe I'll stick to 1 male and a few females.

Any recommendations on something for the top of the tank? I'm considering some paracyps, but I may also go with something out of the lake like colorful tetras or rainbows.

Thanks again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts