Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I have been growing out my 6 black calvus for about a year now. I have been growing them out in a 40 breeder. I will grow them out till i have a nice trio and sell the others. I have since added 3 fronts that are about 2" long. My plan is to move them all over to a 125 and add about 3 more fronts to grow out. when they get to about 5" I'll sell off all but 3. So i will have 3 black calvus and 3 fronts. My question is I'd like to put something in with them, but not sure what. Any ideas? Or is there anything i need to consider in my current plan? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
You could however mix the black calvus with a far larger number of fish than the fronts and long term too. :thumb:

Fronts plus most Tang cichlids is a ticking time bomb. Sometimes take years to go off, sometimes longer than folk stay in the hobby. :wink:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmmm, i was under the impression that calvus and fronts were good tankmates. My calvus are already larger than the fronts and even push them around a little bit. I figured starting the fronts out as smaller than the calvus would help to "even things out" even in the long term.

Well I know it takes the fronts a long time to be any real threat to the calvus. . . . hmmmm. Might need to rethink things

·
Registered
21 Posts
triscuit said:
Depending on your fronts, your tank may end up with only fronts. They have been known to eat any fish they can take a bite out of, which pretty much covers most tank mates. :fish:
So True.^^^

I have Paracyprichromis nigripinnis and other shallow niche fish in with my Fronts and comps. They seem to be doing well. The only fish I think have become a snack from time to time are my Shellies. 12+months together now. :thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts