Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up a pretty heavily planted 35G with a 2213, inline heater, eco complete substrate and a bunch of plants.

I had a lone Telmat and he's in there.

That's all so far, no other fish.. Any suggestions? I want a couple if not a few breeds in there, but understand my tank size limitations. I've never kept a Tang Tank before so I'm not sure of attractive options.. I'm currently skimming through the profiles, but there's a lot of em ;)

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Only other consderating is the aggression level of the lone telmat. Some can be territorial. Some species to consider are the smaller juli's like ornatus or transcriptus or gombe, or something like n. caudopunctatus or altolamprologus. But, if the telmat feels the whole tank is his, they could be in for a rough time. Maybe a robust shellie like lepidiolamprologus hecqui, but I'd be looking more for a rock dweller.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would Brichardi fare well in a tank this size?

I like the Black Calvus.. And Some of the Juli's are nice too.

Only I'm not planning on adding a lot of rockwork or shells to the tank, its mainly plants. Which provides excellent cover and breaks up territories but doesn't really provide caves etc... Is that okay?

I'd like to find a few more T. Temporalis, but it's proving difficult.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Would Brichardi fare well in a tank this size?
Yes, but they'll eventually take exception to the telmat. I'd remove him if you're going to do that. He may not end up dead, but won't have much of a life.

I like the Black Calvus.. And Some of the Juli's are nice too.
They make a nice mix.

Only I'm not planning on adding a lot of rockwork or shells to the tank, its mainly plants. Which provides excellent cover and breaks up territories but doesn't really provide caves etc... Is that okay?
They'll make do. Not sure that they'll breed, but doesn't sound like that's important to you. Could be a very nice looking tank with the juli's and calvus against a planted back drop. Got any pics of this?

I'd like to find a few more T. Temporalis, but it's proving difficult.
They'll beat on each other until a pair forms and then the pair will beat on the excluded ones. I think working them in with tankmates will be a challenge unless you've really got a whole lot of cover.

I'd pick two species for this tank unless you're going to keep the telmat as a single and he's not going to be real aggressive with the newcomers. Then I think you could introduce a few small juli's and calvus. For a first tang tank, I'd suggest keeping the telmat as a single and adding the juli's and calvus. At some point you could set up a telmat tank for them alone. Crowd them and they'll be very entertaining for you.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya the Telmat started as 3 in a 10G and this guy took over, I found one on the floor behind the tank and i never did find the other.. He's a bit of a ******* so i guess I'll see how he does in this larger tank with other species.. He's a gorgeous 3" brute so maybe i can trade him in at the LFS or just hang on and set up a Telmat Temporalis tank.

I think I'll go with the Calvus and Juli se up. The local Cichlid LFS has a buy 3 get 1 free sale till the end of the month and he just got a huge load of Tangs in.. I think I'll pop by and see what he's got.

I'll post pics when it's a little better arranged in there.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Added 5 Ink Fin Calvus in there and it looks like that that mean Telmat might just kill all 5 of them.. I turned off the lights.. lets hope he doesn't kill any of em.. if he does I'm taking him out of there and bringing him to the local Cichlid shop.

He just went right at them, right away.. he's got a big toothy mouth too.

Luckily there's a ton of plants in there for them to hide in.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well He didn't kill any of them.. yet.

Not for lack of trying though, they're a little bit faster than him it seems and he's gone from chasing them all over to just mainly chasing them out of his 'area'.

It makes for some fun to watch ;)

Mean little toothy brute though, lol. I'd love to have a whole tank full of 'em but it seems impossible to find any in Toronto right now.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
He sounds like he needs his own tank with a few females of his own kind. That'd make a nice setup if you can find them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts