Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my tank I currently have 2 Red Zebras, 1 Jewel, 1 Electric Yellow, 1 Pleco. Can anyone suggest other cichlids I could house with this combination? I'd rather have cichlids that stay under 5" right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
I could have sworn I saw this post before...

I think they said remove the jewel, and add other mbuna.

You could do 1 more species - or just stock up on the Yellow Labs & RZ's.

I would say 3 species - Yellow Lab, Red Zebra & something blue (easy in mbuna). I like Socolofi as a blue feesh :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Glaneon said:
I could have sworn I saw this post before...

I think they said remove the jewel, and add other mbuna.

You could do 1 more species - or just stock up on the Yellow Labs & RZ's.

I would say 3 species - Yellow Lab, Red Zebra & something blue (easy in mbuna). I like Socolofi as a blue feesh :)
I agree, acei or socolofi would be a great addition :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
True, Acei are pretty easy going - but they can get big and a 55 may not be sufficient long term.

Otherwise you could do cobalt zebras. (Metriaclima Callainos)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
I agree with Glaneon on a few points here. If you werent worried about keeping the fry you could add to the red zebras and yellow labs along with another species. Personally I would go for something a little smaller like M.cyaneorhabdos, I.sprengerae, or C.afra as the third species. Fully grown P. acei and M.estherae together would be a bit crowded in a 55g. Typically you would want 1 male to 4+ females while keeping the total stock around 15-18 fish. If your shooting for an all male mbuna setup then I really dont have any experience with them. I assume it would be similar to all male hap/peacock tanks in that you would want to avoid similar looking species.
Otherwise you could do cobalt zebras. (Metriaclima Callainos)
I would be a little worried about the male estherae and callainos fighting. Its not a guarantee just something to consider. Again, If you are not worried about keeping fry then it makes it more plausible as the risk of hybridization would be just as high with those two as it would be with the labs/red zebras IME.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
Ooh.. yes, Cyno Afra sp Hara (white top) would look great. 1 male - who will look stunning - and the femmes are blue... YES!

The Cobalt and Red will spar, but so will the RZ & Yellow Labs... I've seen it in my tank, course, the YL's back down pretty quick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got 2 new cichlids, which other members have told me are Labidochromis sp. Hongi young male and Metriaclima lombardoi. My largest RZ has been terrorizing them and all my other fish. I have no idea why this RZ's behavior has changed so rapidly. Right now I have the 3 I already mentioned as well as: 1 Pleco, 1 Yellow LabxRed Zebra hybrid, 1 Jewel or Hemichromis guttatus, and 1 more RZ. I am considering selling the RZ's and Jewel, leaving me with:

1 Yellow LabxRed Zebra hybrid
1 Metriaclima lombardoi
1 Labidochromis sp. Hongi young male
1 Pleco

I am going to the Rocky Mountain Cichlid Association Auction this saturday and will be looking for a breeding pair of Melanochromis parallelus. Would this combination be more likely to work? I know that each individual can be different but overall, would this work?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,494 Posts
YoungCrazyCatWoman said:
1 Yellow LabxRed Zebra hybrid
1 Metriaclima lombardoi
1 Labidochromis sp. Hongi young male
1 Pleco

I am going to the Rocky Mountain Cichlid Association Auction this saturday and will be looking for a breeding pair of Melanochromis parallelus. Would this combination be more likely to work?
I would say no. If you are trying for all-male then it would be better to stick with all-male. Also keep in mind that mbuna are harem breeders so even a pair alone is not likely to work since the male is likely harrass the lone female until she is sick or dead. The reason you want four or more females for your male is to spread his aggression across many individuals.

Melanochromis species are among the most aggressive mbuna and likely to be even more aggressive than your red zebra was.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i would say no. If you are trying for all-male then it would be better to stick with all-male. Also keep in mind that mbuna are harem breeders so even a pair alone is not likely to work since the male is likely harrass the lone female until she is sick or dead. The reason you want four or more females for your male is to spread his aggression across many individuals.

Melanochromis species are among the most aggressive mbuna and likely to be even more aggressive than your red zebra was.
Oh okay. Can you recommend a more peaceful one?[/quote]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
I,ve read threw your threads and can sympathize,if it were me I would find a local fish club or a good L.F.S. and start over
If you are set on africans ,specifically mbuna,you could have three species in your 55,but why not just two,
plenty of rocks,to form caves and hidey holes,
you could start off with lets say pseudotropheus saulosi http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1 and labidichromis caeruleus(lundu) or Nkhata bay http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1667
start as juveniles ,maybe 20 saulosi and 10 white labs.remove extra males
they will do better growing up together,I would aim for final number of around 15 to 20 total
introducing adults with adults,will most times end in problems since territories have been established,good luck with whatever you decide to do :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
newforestrob said:
I,ve read threw your threads and can sympathize,if it were me I would find a local fish club or a good L.F.S. and start over
If you are set on africans ,specifically mbuna,you could have three species in your 55,but why not just two,
plenty of rocks,to form caves and hidey holes,
you could start off with lets say pseudotropheus saulosi http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1 and labidichromis caeruleus(lundu) or Nkhata bay http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1667
start as juveniles ,maybe 20 saulosi and 10 white labs.remove extra males
they will do better growing up together,I would aim for final number of around 15 to 20 total
introducing adults with adults,will most times end in problems since territories have been established,good luck with whatever you decide to do :thumb:
Would they live well if I got just one male and one female Pseudotropheus saulosi?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Or would it be better to have one male and 2-3 females? If so, will the females chase/harm each other badly?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
as long as there's a male, its unlikely (not impossible) that the females will leave each other alone.

with mbuna, the rule still applies: 1m:4f
(kenyi and others may need 1m:7f)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
pairs are never good with mbuna ,1male 4 females ,they should not harm each other if they all start together, preferably not adults,if you aquascape properly,and if you go this route you need to get two more groups to get the numbers up
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top