Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tank was looking good this morning, but came back from shopping and there was a strong fish smell coming from the tank. I took apart the tank, but could not see any evidence of a fish death. The nitrites level is high (about 40 ppm). I am going to do a water change. The filters are running well. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong with my tank?

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Do you mean nitrAtes with an a are at 40ppm?
How about your other water parameters? Ammonia and nitrite? PH?
How often have you been doing partial water changes, how many fish and what size tank is this? Are all fish eating at every feeding? Swimming normally? Are any fish hanging at the top?

I would do the partial water change and make sure you're using a good quality declorinator. Siphon the gravel. Check and make sure there's not a build up of waste and gunk on any of the filter media.

Please post back with additional information.

Robin

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Robin said:
Do you mean nitrAtes with an a are at 40ppm? - YES NITRATES.

How about your other water parameters? Ammonia and nitrite? PH? - ALL OTHER PARAMETERS ARE NORMAL, BUT i NEED TO BUY A NEW AMMONIA KIT, RAN OUT OF DROPS.How often have you been doing partial water changes,- 15% WEEKLY

how many fish and what size tank is this? - MOSTLIKELY TOO MANY, ABOUT 22; AVERAGE SIZE IS BETWEEN 2-3 INCHES (THERE ARE A HANDFUL THAT ARE AN INCH, 2 THAT ARE 4 INCHES, AND ONE THAT IS 5 INCHES.

Are all fish eating at every feeding? YES, EXCLUDING THE LARGEST FISH WHICH IS ABOUT 3 WEEKS NEW TO THE TANK. HE HIDES ALL THE TIME AND i DO NOT SEE HIM EAT. SOME HOW HE STILL LOOKS GOOD WHEN I GET A GOOD LOOK AT HIM.
ADDITIONALLY, I WAS FEEDING THE FISH ONCE EVERY OTHER DAY FOR A WHILE. THEN ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO I STARTED TO FEED DAILY.

Swimming normally? YES, THE TANK IS VERY ACTIVE.

Are any fish hanging at the top? NO, EVERYONE IS BEHAVING NORMAL.

I would do the partial water change and make sure you're using a good quality declorinator.
I DID A 25% WATER CHANGE LAST NIGHT. CAME HOME FROM WORK TODAY AND THE TANK STILL HAD A FOUL ODER SO i DID AN ADDITIONAL 20% WATER CHANGE THIS EVENING.

Check and make sure there's not a build up of waste and gunk on any of the filter media. -
Siphon the gravel. LAST NIGHT I MOVED ALL OF THE ROCKS TO SEE IF I COULD FIND A DEAD FISH (WITH NO SUCCESS). THEN I CHOSE TO ADD A PLASTIC GRID TO THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK (UNDER THE SAND) TO HELP DISPERSE THE WEIGHT OF THE ROCKS (AS DEMONSTRATED ON A VIDEO IN THE LIBRARY SECTION OF THIS FORUM). THE SAND WAS ALL MIXED UP SO I WAS NOT ABLE TO DO A GOOD JOB AT VACUUMING ANY DEBREE UP.

THE ONLY TIME I HAVE EVER SMELT THE TANK LIKE THIS IS WHEN THERE WAS A DEAD FISH. BUT I DID NOT FIND ONE AND THE TANK STILL SMELLS AFTER THE FIRST WATER CHANGE. IF THE PROBLEM WAS TOO MANY FISH WHY DID THE ISSUE SEEM TO COME ON ALL OF A SUDDEN RATHER THAN GRADUALLY?

THOUGHTS????? :-?

THANKS FOR ALL HELP.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Are you running fresh carbon in your filtration? By fresh, I mean less than 2 weeks old.

I find that when the heat and humidity starts moving in as it is now, I need to be a bit more conscientious about my carbon changes to help keep down the fishy smells.

The new fish that isn't eating may be a concern.

Kim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts