Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all im new to the forum and have just recently got into african cichlids. I have a 75 gal aquarium with a cascade 300 and emperor 400 hob filter. I have 10 cichlids (6 mbuna and 4 others). They are juveniles right now and i have white sand substrate. Im having trouble getting the water to be that fish store quality clear and im not sure on how to get it there. *** been running carbon in the filters and bio balls in the emperor. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
115 Posts
The carbon is useless and really good for removing smells and medications from the water.

I recommend using bio media and combination of sponges/filter pads and polyester filter floss for pillow/stuff animal stuffing from walmart.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
tcw3 said:
I've been running carbon in the filters and bio balls in the emperor. Any help would be appreciated
You may want to try something other than bioballs in the emperor. They're designed for wet/dry filters, with water flowing over and past them rather than for submerged use. What you may need is better mechanical filtration. I'm not familiar with the cascade, but you may want to try to rig something with one of your filters involving filter floss, polyester quilt batting, or some similar fine mechanical filtration.

-Rick (the armchair aquarist)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright guys thanks for the quick replies. I saw some fine floss for really cheap at wal mart and petsmart. Would putting it in the gray baskets of the emperor work ? I may stuff some into one of the baskets and see how that works for right now

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tank has been set up for almost a year now. I had a largemouth bass for a while and then i had a large oscar for a while also. I did just change the substrate from rock pebbles to white sand last week so the tank did get a very good cleaning when i switched it out, but almost all the water stayed in there and a majority of the rocks did also. I also had undergravel filtration with the rock pebbles but i took it out for the sand. It may be a case where i need to let cycle a little bit and settle down and do some mechanical filtrating

·
Registered
27 Posts
all my tanks are sand now, and they all take/took a good while to get the dusty look out, i found most of it was the lighter peices of sand floating, with good mech filteration it removes it within a few days, but i currently have a 55 cycling with two feeders in it and only a 20-40 HOB cheapo and a 10g cheapo (just what i had laying around) and its been cloudy for a week easy,
i use my magnum350 can filter with the polisher to clear up the dust.
over about 6 hours it will clear most, or 24hours it gets about perfect, then i switch back to normal filtering with floss/carbon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts