Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fingers crossed. Man this thing seems massive. I'm a bit stressed myself.

Took what seemed like forever to fill. Stand was a smidgen off (Low) on the right side but still in the bubble. I could see it with the water level so shimmed it to about perfect.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frazee86 said:
Yes, 125G. Gonna let it sit a few more hours then drain it and tweak some things. Tried putting on background with vegetable oil and that is a no go. Need to get to back of tank and figure out how to get the bubbles out of background before I get this thing more permanent. Gonna reposition the foam a tad also. Dang things takes a while to fill up.

·
Registered
705 Posts
drain it and tape it off. 4-5 coats of krylon spray paint and ur gravy. *** done it on multiple tanks with great results. might want a can or two with a tank that size. but seriously for a plastic drop cloth some painters tape and a cpl old newspapers that tank would be looking FANtastic. cost me MAYBE 15$ with all materials. gonna continue the process on every other tank soon as i move.. lolz

·
Registered
133 Posts
Anthraxx8500 said:
drain it and tape it off. 4-5 coats of krylon spray paint and ur gravy. I've done it on multiple tanks with great results. might want a can or two with a tank that size. but seriously for a plastic drop cloth some painters tape and a cpl old newspapers that tank would be looking FANtastic. cost me MAYBE 15$ with all materials. gonna continue the process on every other tank soon as i move.. lolz
I second the idea of painting it. And if you don't want to worry about/deal with overspray, rolling on chalkboard paint like this...

http://www.rustoleum.com/cbgproduct.asp?pid=103

...works really well, too. Goes on the glass with no problems.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Nice Tank.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Frazee86 said:
I used black foam board looks pretty good it's different way to do it if you don't want to paint it
I have never seen black foam board for sale anywhere. Where did you find this stuff at? I would also like to do that since I have a couple tanks that are running and cant really get to the back very well to paint them.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Seen them at the dollar store walmart craft stores got mine at walmart cost like 7$ to do a 75 isn't best for taking pictures against but looks good in person

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Dont sweat it... It is easy to scrape off if you ever want to remove it...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I couldn't go with spray because the tank is inside now so I opted to roll on enamel Rustoleum Royal Blue. Saw a video of a guy doing this with black - same stuff. First coat doesn't look very good - roller seems to streak and paint load seem to vary a lot. Hopefully the next coat will cover much better. I'll post a photo when I'm done.

Jim

·
2,088 Posts
Yes, the first coat is horrid - esp when backlit. The second coat should cover it well. Even if you have some pinholes and holidays in the second coat, once the tank is set up they should disappear - unless the tank is backlit. Be careful if you used masking tape to border the painting area, it is easy to pull off the paint when removing tape. Use an exacto knife to cut the paint from the tape, before you pull the tape off. :eek:

Two of my tanks are painted, and I am kicking myself for sticking with the roll of rocks for the background on the third. Since the third is a 150, I am not breaking it down simply to change out the background.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nodima said:
Yes, the first coat is horrid - esp when backlit. The second coat should cover it well. Even if you have some pinholes and holidays in the second coat, once the tank is set up they should disappear - unless the tank is backlit. Be careful if you used masking tape to border the painting area, it is easy to pull off the paint when removing tape. Use an exacto knife to cut the paint from the tape, before you pull the tape off. :eek:

Two of my tanks are painted, and I am kicking myself for sticking with the roll of rocks for the background on the third. Since the third is a 150, I am not breaking it down simply to change out the background.
Excellent tip on the razor before tape extraction. Tank will not be backlit. I have been waiting weeks to get this this going so it was hard to change gears like this but if I don't get something done now that requires shifting the tank around a bit - it isn't happening. 125G that is set up isn't going to get moved or broken down so now is the time.

Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts