Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first effort (Oct 20), not many fish in it:

After adding quite a few fish and a makeshift background (Nov 13):

Finally I picked up 82lbs of river rock for under $7.00 at a local landscape store (Dec 21).

I was surprised that the river rock didn't clash horribly with the texas holey rock. I feel like it looks pretty good. Given the tank is only 2-3" from the wall, I can't paint the background without a bit of research on how to do it...

I wanted to get y'alls opinions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Very nice. I would remove the plumbing and paint it black with Krylon Fusion to match the BG. Also, some sand, PFS or black, whichever you prefer would look nice. The rocks look great, and with a little algae growth there will be no clash at all.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
my preferences black background ,sand substrate,one color of rock piles and no plants I think I like the first pic best

painting is really simple to do ,I used behrs paint primer(2 in 1) foam roller, 5 thin coats-let dry between coats(10 minutes) :thumb:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided against PFS for substrate due to vaccuuming tediousness.

I like the looks [of PFS] (have it on my 35 gallon) but not interested in having to avoid getting it in my plumbing (I can water change easily through the FX5 - but that doesn't get the detrius off the sand).

Hard to paint with it SO close to the wall, but given the location, further out would have looked really odd in the room itself.

You guys think in general it looks better without the plants and with more rocks?

I was noticing that some feeshes didn't really have any places to stake out as their own; with the #'s I have, I felt they needed more holes/obstacles to flee/hide in.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
125 gallon, 6 ft.
(more info in my tanks profile)

[Each picture can be clicked on for a slightly larger version.]

Thanks guys.

I like the idea (took me a few reads to get it) to remove & paint the plumbing black. Not sure how well I could do it since I'd obviously have to shut down the filtration for a day to get it painted dried - rinsed, soaked, etc. I get nervous about painting anything that goes IN the tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.