Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two frontosa one is a 9 inch female and the other a 6 inch male along with an asorted group of other african and 3 electric blue crayfish in a 90 gallon tank is this tank to small for the big girl?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I don't even know anything about Fronts, but I can tell you the answer you are going to get. Yes. As I've been recommended, Fronts need at least a 6 foot tank, especially at the size of your girl. I'm currently shopping for a 180+ for my future Front tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i actually got the tank off of craigslist and the guy i got it from had the to fronts

and i meant to small in the title there just noticed the mistake

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
I fixed the typo in your thread title. Unfortunately it is not as easy to fix the flaws in your stocking list. As RRasco said, frontosa need a tank of at least 6' length. With 4', your 90G is way too small. Also, Frontosa live in groups, not pairs, and ideally you want to keep 1-2 males with 4-6 females or thereabouts. Last but not least, Frontosa are slow moving, docile fish. Putting them in the same tank with hyperactive fish like mbuna is simply cruel, and M. auratus are just about the most hyperactive mbuna there are.

Nimbochromis venustus and Tilapia buttikoferi are also bad news for a 4' tank, because the get too large, and we don't even know what the three unknown cichlids are. I feel for you for having to correct the stocking mistakes of the previous tank owner, but strongly suggest re-homing some of your fish. If you want to focus on the Frontosa, you need a 125G tank, and I would suggest getting some more fronts but finding new homes for the rest of your current fish.

The 90G should work well as a species tank for a group of auratus - try to get lots of females and few males. Maybe a second species of the more aggressive mbuna would work in the same tank, but everything else would have to go.

Alternatively the 90G would be a nice setup for peacocks. You have the sunburst already, but he would like to live with other peacocks or similar peaceful cichlids that don't get too large.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when I purchased the tank all that was in were the 2 fronts. after having it set up for a little while i whent to my lfs and the man at the store helped me pick out all the other fish to introduce in to my tank. i told him about the 2 fronts and said that all should be ok.

please go easy on me here this is my first time having a tank let alone cichlids

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
There are definitely stores out there where you get quality advice, and where the people make the well-being of your fish, and you long term success in the hobby their number one priority. But unfortunately all too many people working in fish stores either lack the knowledge to properly advise you are care only about maximizing the number of fish they can sell you. I leave it to you to judge which kind of store you ran into. Don't despair, we have all been there! I suggest you educate yourself by reading up on the various fish you have in our library and profile sections. Then you can decide what to do :thumb:

Here are some links:

frontosa cichlids
Auratus cichlids
venustus cichlid
zebra tilapia
sunburst cichlid
unknown cichlids - maybe post photos to find out what they are.
electric blue crayfish

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know that not all fish are the same, but the breeders that I got my Kitumbas from breed their wilds in a 5 ft tank with 1m 3 females. They said that it is the best breeding group they have ever had. When their biggest female holds, the male will carry some too!!! They have had close to a 100 baby Kitumbas at one time!!!

·
2,088 Posts
tmoore said:
I know that not all fish are the same, but the breeders that I got my Kitumbas from breed their wilds in a 5 ft tank with 1m 3 females. They said that it is the best breeding group they have ever had. When their biggest female holds, the male will carry some too!!! They have had close to a 100 baby Kitumbas at one time!!!
No doubt it works for your breeders, but I'd bet there are not "crayfish, and assorted other africans" in the tank with them. It is also a smaller group than most want to keep.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Oh, I agree that the other stuff needs to go, but I'm not sold on the fact that it can't be done it a 4 foot tank. Mine are in a six, but I think with a trio or quad it can be done in a four, especially if you go with 7 stripes which tend to be smaller, at least in my limited experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts