Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I purchased a new house that will be ready this April and wanted to upgrade to a bigger tank for when I move in.

I was thinking of going from a 90g to a 125g. Currently I have my 90g in a finished basement and of course being the basement, there are no problems with the floor.

I would love to put the new tank on the main level of my house, but I'm a little worried about the weight of the tank on the floor.

Does anyone have any comments/suggestions? Is this too heavy to have on the main floor?

Look forward to your comments! :)

Cheers

·
Registered
121 Posts
So long as you can spread the weight over two or more joists it will be fine. Hopefully the joists will be running the right way for you in the room where you want to locate the tank. They are usually 18" apart :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
There is no sure way of telling without knowing more about the construction of your house and the particular ceiling, but with the average house tanks up to 125G don't seem to pose a problem with ceiling strength. Anything larger than that and I'd have a closer look. For details see this article.

My 240G sits in the main floor on just to joists that run parallel to the tank. Not a recommended setup, but it was the only place where my wife would let me put an 8' tank, and I was willing to take a gamble. Six years later the tank still sits as level as the day I put it there, so I guess I was lucky :D

Generally speaking, if there is a problem it's most likely that the ceiling will bow slightly over time. If you keep an eye on the tank, you can still take action if that occurs, that is lower the water level and re-enforce the ceiling. What most people imagine is the ceiling going pop and the whole setup ending up one floor down. I think that only happens in the movies :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!!!

This really helps! Can't wait to get my tank!!!

I'll post pics once it's up and running....

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
If the house is still being built and you know where the tank will be placed, ask the carps to double up a few floor joists for you.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have my 90G in my room which is on the second floor, not the floor above the basement, but the one above that, havent had a problem yet.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
noddy said:
If the house is still being built and you know where the tank will be placed, ask the carps to double up a few floor joists for you.
That is an excellent suggestion! I can't believe I missed that the house is still being constructed. Double floor joists wherever you think future tank might go would be a great idea.

Also, if I was in that boat, I'd have water and drain installed in the cabinet under the tank. That would make setting up an automatic water change system a breeze :dancing:

·
Registered
121 Posts
fmueller said:
noddy said:
That is an excellent suggestion! I can't believe I missed that the house is still being constructed. Double floor joists wherever you think future tank might go would be a great idea.

Also, if I was in that boat, I'd have water and drain installed in the cabinet under the tank. That would make setting up an automatic water change system a breeze :dancing:
Two great ideas :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts