Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have some questions about stocking in my 40g(36x18x18) and wanted some opinions. I currently have four Bolivian rams and two angels in this setup and wanted to know if I could add 1-2 Otocinclus and 4-5 three stripe cories. Would this be overstocking? I was wondering since the rams occupy the bottom and some middle area would the cories bother them. There are pics below so you can see the setup. Open to suggestions.

Full tank shot:
http://s1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb4 ... 760793.jpg

Angled tank shot:
http://s1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb4 ... 2be8a3.jpg

Side view:
http://s1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb4 ... 08ded5.jpg

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have no experience with successfully stocking a SA tank, but I just wanted to tell you that I admire your tank and how it is very crisp and clean, yet very natural.

I think you could work in some small corys there. You could always add them and monitor your chemistry and if your filtration is too small to handle the added nitrates you could use it as an excuse to add more bio filtration, do larger water changes, or upgrade your tank!

·
Registered
142 Posts
JoelRHale said:
I just wanted to tell you that I admire your tank and how it is very crisp and clean, yet very natural.
+1 your tank looks awesome! :thumb:

·
Registered
705 Posts
great tank. if anything consider adding a few more tanks and also look at top end size for the cories. *** got some emeralds that have stayed pretty small for awhile now, pgymy variety would probably be the best long term. also try to go with more cories as opposed to less. instead of an otto or two consider possibly a bristlenose pleco. i think the ottos would be something the rams and angels would mess with. (thats how it worked for me at least) well thats just my two cents. i think u could easily get away with some tetras as well. nothing that gets big but maybe a school of 8 lemons or von rio flames, 6-8 pygmy cories, and one decent sized bristlenose of your choosing. dont add all at once or anything.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have kept Bolivian Rams in the past and currently own a beautiful pair of Blue Rams. None have ever bothered an oto. Angels? Im not sure about cause i have never kept them. Are some of your plants plastic? Or all of them? What types of lights are you running? Is your substrate just sand? If your plants ARE fake you probobly should have lower watt lights. In Planted aquariums we run really bright lights for our plants and also usually have a substrate that has lots of nutrients for plants (ex: flourite) which means we will grow algae as well. because of this I usually add several otos and a bristlenose pleco as well into my planted tanks. If you are running lower WPG lights and have regular old sand you should be fine with either the pleco or the otos. I recomend the pleco though cause you will see him a lot more! remember not to buy him till you need him though!

SnookMan88

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great looking tank!

I agree with the suggestion for the BN pleco. I have a very similar set up, with a pair of angels, pair of Blue Rams, 5 corys, 2 BN plecos and a groups of rummy nose tetras and zebra danios in a 65 tall, and they all get along just fine. The Bristle noses do a great job on any algae! The rams and the cories don't bother each other at all.

Rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the tank complements! To answer your questions snookman about half the plants are fake and half live. I just have Amazon swords and what I was told is Comomba. Both of which are flourishing the sand is just play sand about 1 1/2"-2". My lighting is just a standard stoplight the kind you find at hardware stores 13W. Again thanks for all the comments and complements!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts