Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how come they sell 125 gallon tanks and they only take 100 gallons of water 98 to be exact? how is that legal... and this is bare with no substrate

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea thats the dimensions its a marineland perfecto 125 gallon tank.. but i jus filled it up and theres only 98 gallons of water in it and i havent even added the sand yet

·
Registered
211 Posts
chances are you measured something wrong. if the tank has the deminsions of a 125 its not possible for it to be less or more. its just not. :popcorn:

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
PfunMo said:
Most likely the bucket you are measuring with is not what you think.
My thoughts exactly... how is the water being added measured? Accuracy in doubt perhaps?

IME, a 125g will hold around 120g... approximately 5g seems to get "lost" due to thickness of glass and the portion at the top of the tank not actually filled up. My 110g with internal overflows only holds just over 100g though as the overflows take up room and are never fully "filled".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have a blue bucket from the cleaning section of walmart... it has up to 9 quarts marked in it..l i used 8 quarts of water which is 2 gallons to fill up my tub and it took 6 buckets full which is 12 gallons... i marked on the tub where the line was then i fill up my tank 12 gallons at a time the 125 took 8 tubs and 1 blue bucket which is 98 gallons... *** also taken a 2 quart container filled it four times emptying it into the blue bucket to make sure that it really is 8 quarts.. and it is

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
*** done it several times actually and its always the same thing 98-100 gallons depending on whats in the tank this time it was only the aqua terra slimeline messa background.. but *** also filled up my other 125 which was made in 1988 and doesnt have a center brace and it also only took 100 gallons and theres no backgorund in that one

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and!!! lol if you use the aquatic calculater... i jus measured from the inside of the tank all the dimensions and its actually 20 height to where the water comes, 71 length,17.5 depth.. the measurement they give you about the tank are for the outside.. it comes to 107 gallons plus add in that i have a 1inch thick 71x18 background in there would account for the other 9 gallons of water displaced... no1 else has come to this conclusion that their volume calculations are wrong and based on the outside glass dimensions? i cant be the only one! lol

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
actually ,now you got me thinking,we measure the outside dimensions,I did some quick calculations,on my 75 gal
outside dimensions 48l X 18w X 21h, 78 us gallons,66 imp.
inside dimensions 47l X 17w X 20.5h, 70.5 us gal, 59.5 imp.
I see what youre saying,I,m sure someone will be along to set us straight

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok well *** done the math on my other tanks theres 47-48 gallons in a "55" 63 gallons in my "75"

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
If that bothers you, I sure don't recommend going to the lumber yard! A 2X4 is not but 1/12X31/2 and it gets worse as time goes by. Now if you get quality sanded items they may be even smaller. How much memory did you buy in your computer? How much usable memory did you get? How many MPG does your car get compared to what the sticker showed.
Nobody should believe there are any ethics left in business, only money.
Ethics went out when money came in!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol ok well a few things... as far as car mileage goes they estimate that you can get that mpg at "optimal driving conditions" iwent to school to be a mechanic so they told us about that. Actually some car i forget which had to have a shift light put in from the factory so they wouldnt get sued over the miles per gallon. if you shift the car when the lights goes off then you will get the sticker advertised mpg. lumber on the other hand is jus some bull****.. i recently bought a few pieces to hold my background off the bottom of the glass while it was curing and i ran into the 4x4 and 2x2 arent really those sizes.. why dont they jus start calling them what they are or demand they be the right size as advertised? im not a big wood person so it really doesnt grind my geers too bad thou lol as far as ram goes i believe thats because windows and whatever other processes you have running take a certain amount of ram to run but i hear what you are saying... im just suprised that other people havent taken great notice to this discrepancy

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
m1ke715m said:
im just suprised that other people havent taken great notice to this discrepancy
I measure all my tanks as I fill them to determine actual gallons present... I'm still going to suggest that your made in china bucket is partly to blame... I've owned 2 "5g" buckets and one held almost 6g... I see you tried to double check that but theres room for error in your method as well. I'm going to say 50% perfectos measuring problem, 50% inaccuracies in your bucket.
:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol hey how do you know my buckets made in china???? lol yea idk its possible but i used a 2 quart container (for iced tea and such) that has measurements on it and filled it up 4 times and it came right to the 8quart mark on the bucket.. even if i was off it wouldnt be by that much.. i think its cuz the actual volume is determined by the inside length not the outside and the other few gallons im missing is due to the space the aquaterra slimline messa background is taking up

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
If you think that's bad, It took me about a year to realize that the 210g tank I bought in Canada actually holds 210 U.S gallons and not 210 Imperial gallons. I'm surpised they didn't make me pay in Pesos or Lira whilst they were at it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hahahah what the heck is an imperial gallon im from joissssey lol whats the conversion of an imperial gallon to a us gallon?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts