Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 55 gallon tank with a five year old Jack Dempsey, two three month old Hornets, a three month old Jaguar, and an eight month old Pleco. Five fish in all.

The younger cichlids are starting to grow up, and I need to upgrade my tank size. I was wondering - how large of a tank should I get? I've located a 90 gallon locally, and for a good price. Is that large enough?

I don't intend to ever add any more fish to the tank. I'm pretty sure the Hornets are all male, and I can't imagine a situation where cross-breeding would happen, so I don't expect any fry in the future either.

I've heard of the one-inch-of-fish-per-gallon-of-tank rule, but that would seem to imply I'd need no more than a 20 gallon tank or so... Not sure if I agree with that, heh!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Not really. A 90 is only wider than a 55, not longer. Your jag alone will need a longer tank, so...

1"-per-gallon is nonsense. Cichlids need territory/floor space.

·
Registered
48 Posts
How big...?

As big as your budget and space permits. Over the years I've had numerous tanks and not once have I regretted getting too large a tank. Although I do regret owning one that is 30" tall (deep). Working on the bottom of the tank is a pain. Good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the great replies. I'm now on the lookout for something larger. There's a 130 gallon a two hour drive from here - I've left an inquiry with 'em. That's the biggest I've seen so far...

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Cunados said:
Although I do regret owning one that is 30" tall (deep). Working on the bottom of the tank is a pain.
Agreed. My 110 tall is nice b/c the viewing area is huge, but nearly impossible for me to get my short arms down to the bottom. Part of the reason I'm switching to a 150.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got an incredible deal on a 120 gallon tank with a stand, and all the equipment necessary to run and maintain the tank for a year! An older couple living a few hours away were moving and priced everything they had to sell very quickly. After meeting with them, they actually knocked $200 off the asking price, because I reminded them of their son. Talk about luck!

It's not quite a 125, so if crowding and aggression becomes an issue, I'll have to find new homes for one or two. I've already relocated the pleco to another tank.

I've dug out my ammonia bottle and have begun cycling it. With a bit of luck, and some transferred filter media, I should have my fish moved from their too-small tank to this one in short order. Just gotta wait for those nitrates to peak...

Thanks for the great advice, all!

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Sounds like a good deal on the 120G. However, a standard 120G is still a 4' tank (4'x2'x2'), while a 125G is a 6' tank. The 5G more in volume don't make much of a difference, but the extra 2' in swimming space do! Of course if the tank is supposed to fit in the living room, 4' vs 6' can make a big difference too - eg 6' being a deal breaker for many significant others :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts