Cichlid Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the smallest tank that you could put a oscar in. I know a 29 is too small but some books say that is fine. I don't agree and want to know what your opinions are.

·
Registered
965 Posts
75 gallon IMO. Some say that a 55 will work But I really dont agree, considering an oscar will easily grow larger than the width of the tank.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
55G is minimum if you're willing to do pleanty of water changes once it's full grown. 29G is definately too small.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
jhawk said:
75 is the best to get but you could use a 55 only if you have to
I would have said - '75 is better to get but you could use a 55 if you have to'

But I think you can see a consistency in opinions here.....

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Agreed with all of the above poster, the only thing i never agree with in these posts is the width being a problem with a 55, a fish can turn in half its body length so a 55 is fine, just means a lot more water changes.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
RobD213 said:
the only thing i never agree with in these posts is the width being a problem with a 55, a fish can turn in half its body length so a 55 is fine
I completely agree... not many captive Oscars actually reach 12 inches and besides... fish bend... lol...

(Note: this was written lightheartedly and meant to bring a smile, not a debate... so smile!)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
if your considering a 75 - might as well buy the 90... same footprint - more viewing area, and more importantly more total gallons for water stability/buffering.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
illy-d said:
if your considering a 75 - might as well buy the 90... same footprint - more viewing area, and more importantly more total gallons for water stability/buffering.
^^^that's good stuff... I like my 90 MUCH more than I like my 75. Many people only consider a tanks footprint, but taller tanks allow ample free swim area over well stacked caves and such... The downer is 90 Gals use thicker glass and are therefore priced a good bit higher (usually).

·
Registered
397 Posts
nc_nutcase said:
jhawk said:
75 is the best to get but you could use a 55 only if you have to
I would have said - '75 is better to get but you could use a 55 if you have to'

But I think you can see a consistency in opinions here.....
Next time I'll chose my words better

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
oh, I wasn't 'correcting' your wording as I'm sure you worded it express what you meant. I only changed it slightly to better reflect my opinion when reposting it... my opinion is no more/less valid than yours...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Add one more to the '55gal is OK, 75gal is better' club. You want a 4ft length of tank minimum for one Oscar.

·
Registered
397 Posts
nc_nutcase I just wrote it wrong.I think a 55 is good but just like the 75 more water and more room so if you have catfish or pleco's they have room to get away from Oscars. :)

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Dam, this is the most boring O tank size thread ever. Where are all the people that say say one O needs a 6' long tank by itself w/daily water changes :-?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
imusuallyuseless said:
Dam, this is the most boring O tank size thread ever. Where are all the people that say say one O needs a 6' long tank by itself w/daily water changes :-?
I think a 30 gal is fine :p

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I think me meant 300 Gal

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Nah I was just mocking useless, i have had my say already 55 ok 75 better, 90 even better and so on.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I know... I was just dragging you to the other extreme....

·
Registered
965 Posts
And heck, if your going for the 300 it would have to be custom anyway, so you might as well get a 600, and your O will be nice and happy! Of course you WILL need the 300 anyway, for the twice-weekly 50% water changes from all the waste he will produce.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.