·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the minimum tank siz for one frontosa

·
Registered
162 Posts
Frontosa do alot better when they are in harems. Atleast 1M-2or3F. You could do 1M-3F in a 125G six foot tank.
6' is really the minimum for a Frontosa tank.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you are keeping just a single front as a "pet" fish with nothing else, then I guess a 48 x 15x 15 would do, but no smaller and preferably bigger even for just one. They do get to 14".

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
There are far better cichlids to keep for a single wet pet than a frontosa. If that is what you want, get one of the Central American cichlids instead. A single frontosa is unlikely to be much fun. A group in an appropriate sized tank however would be.

·
Registered
95 Posts
This could be a decent place to ask: Where can you shop for a reasonably priced 6ft or larger tank? I found some online for thousands, but I dont get how a 75g can be had for around $500 at your local pet store, and then the next step up is in the thousands.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
jprime84 said:
This could be a decent place to ask: Where can you shop for a reasonably priced 6ft or larger tank? I found some online for thousands, but I dont get how a 75g can be had for around $500 at your local pet store, and then the next step up is in the thousands.
Check craigslist or similar type local places. You should be able to get a 6ft used tank for much cheaper than thousands, unless of course it is a very good condition tank, with a high quality wood stand, good name brand filters, lights etc.... in which case it might be worth it.

However, I've purchased 6ft tanks with filters for $300, and I've seen much better prices.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
jprime84 said:
You should be able to get a 75g tank for less than $100. I love supporting the mom and pop stores, but seriously- the bigger stores have $1/gallon sales a couple times a year for glass tanks.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
triscuit said:
You should be able to get a 75g tank for less than $100. I love supporting the mom and pop stores, but seriously- the bigger stores have $1/gallon sales a couple times a year for glass tanks.
That's usually only up to 55 gallons though.

You should be able to get a 125-150 on craigslist for anywhere from $100-400. If you're patient, the deals will come up. I've been looking everyday for the passed 3 months even though I don't have any funds or room for another tank ATM, but I like to see what's out there.

I ended up with a 150 tank for $100 and then waited for a stand which I ending up getting for $50. $150 for a 150 tank and stand. Then I get to pick my lighting and filtration. I also bought a complete 125 setup with the tank, stand, lights, XP2, Emperor 280 and 400 which I also paid $150 for. This wasn't on craigslist, but through word of mouth from a guy that just wanted to get rid of it. Had I not bought it though, it was going on craigslist for that price. Look daily, multiple times if possible, and be patient.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts