Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some J. Transcriptus Bemba. Someone near me is selling them, so I can get them easily. I have an understocked (9 Dwarf Neon Rainbows, a m/f pair of swordtails, and 5 or 6 guppies) and heavily planted 55 with a sand bottom, a ph of 7.5-7.7 and minimal rockwork. The tank has been up almost a year and is very stable. I also have a pair of 10g's that are cycling. I want to silicone oystershells into a nice hardscape with plenty of caves, kh and ph buffering for one of the 10's, give it a poolsand substrate, and put in some J. Transcriptus. I wuld also add rocks to the 55, and when I get a pair, move all the other cichlids into the 55. The seller says they will only grow to 1.5 inches, so I think it may work even though they are cichlids.
My question is will this work, and if it will, how many cichlids should I buy to get a pair? Also, any tips are welcome, as I've never done anything like this before.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have a pair of transcriptus I keep in a 10G tank ... they have produced around 30 to 50 offspring over a period of 15 months.

I just tore down that tank and moved all the offspring over to another 10G tank.

They will more than likely grow to about 3" long.

I'd go for 6 minimum to get a pair ... or maybe two pair. They should start pairing off at around 1 1/2" inches in size.

Just be prepared to remove the singles to another tank once they show signs of being rejected by the pair ... otherwise they will be killed off.

I leave the algae grow in my tanks ... they'll eat it ... or eat whatever little things are living in it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.