Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife would like to set up a new planted tank in our bedroom for angelfish. The space can accomodate a 3 foot wide tank. I know angels need a tall tank but am unsure about the required width (front to back). Would a 45 gallon tank (36"x13"x24") suffice or do I need to get a 65 gallon tank (37"x 19"x25")? We will probably have at most 6 angels (Pterophyllum Scalare) with some cardinal tetras or other dithers and a couple bushynose plecos.

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
I'd go for the 65 gallon, the bigger the better - in all honesty once height gets over 24" it doesn't make a huge difference to the angelfish, unless you plan on getting altum angelfish.

You'll likely have to thin them down to a breeding pair as they mature and start to get territorial, that's just how it is in a 3 foot tank. On the bright side watching angelfish guard eggs and get into breeding colors is always relaxing, and you can add a lot of bottom dwelling fish ect.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I realize "the bigger the better" is the general rule but I am somewhat limited on space where this tank will be going. So if the angels would be comfortable in the 45 gallon I'd rather not give up that six inches of space. But if they need the extra width I'll make it work.

So I could start off with 6 juveniles but once they mature I will need to move all but a single pair? Assuming I end up with a mated pair...

What sort of bottom dwellers would be good in that size tank, besides the plecos?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Get about 6 cory cats.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
What sort of bottom dwellers would be good in that size tank, besides the plecos?
A small school of one of the many Corydoras species as already mentioned. Good cleanup crew. Also look at a small school of otocinclus as algea eaters. In my opinion this combination is better than having a couple of bn plecos.

Cardinal tetras as good. There are so many good looking tetra species, one thing to remember with them, most do not occupy the upper levels of the water column like many people think. There has also been much debate here as to the suitability of bullet shaped tetras with Angelsfish. In the wild, Angelfish naturally prey on such fish, so many people suggest going for the higher bodied tetras such as Lemon tetras, Bleeding Heart tetras, Black & Red Phantom tetras etc. I am also a fan of Marbled hatchetfish, once they settle in thier pattern really shines.

If you end up with a pair of Angelfish, I think you could still add another species of dwarf SA cichlid that inhabits the lower part of the tank. My advice would be a species of apistogramma.

·
Registered
989 Posts
The big problem I have found is getting good stock. Otocinclus and many of the tetras (especially the rummynose) don't seem to survive transport shock very well. If they survive the first week or so, they are usually ok. I would put them in a quarantine tank to begin with since any that die will be harder to take out with a net from a larger, deeper tank. Unfortunately fishing out dead bodies is often a ritual with some new fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts