Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am new to cichlid keeping. I have a couple of questions and will appreciate if you could answer them in detail:

1- What is the difference in the various Aquarium shapes, e.g. 48" long X 18" Wide X 18" High Vs. 36" Long X 24" High X 24" Wide Vs. 30" on all 3 sides.

2- Which one is better and why?

Thanks.

·
Registered
554 Posts
He should add that he's keeping mbuna :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the clarification Nina_b.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The 48x18x18 is best for keeping mbuna.
The reason behind this is that mbuna are highly territorial so the bigger the footprint of your tank is, the more territories there is.
Therefore you can keep more fish and happier fish and less agrression issues.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would just say longer tanks in general are better unless you have a specific type of fish that requires a taller tank. A longer shorter tank will offer you more surface area than a taller one with the same number of gallons. More surface area=more gas exchange which allows you to keep more fish.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks taxxara.

What about live-bearers? Which type is better for them?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Best? Maybe if 4' long is your limit. I'd go as big of a footprint as possible, with length being a major factor. If you can, go 6' or 8'. Why? Because you can, and your fish will love the extra room (plus you can get quite a few more!).

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm in the same boat with a 4' space as my limit. I could possibly go 5' but it'd really crowd my furniture.

That said I'm looking to go 48x18 for the footprint. This puts the max tank as either a 90g or a 110g extra high. My thoughts on the extra high 110g is that it really would be a pain to get something at the bottom and mbuna really aren't going to use that height. So my max tank size is the 90g.

If you do have more room to fit a longer tank I'd do it. A 100g can be found that fits a 5' space (60"x18"x20") or the next jump up is 6' in length.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have Rusties, Saulosis and Red Zebras in my 4 foot tank. It is a 60 gallon and is 24" tall. They all utilize the entire depth of the tank. I like the look of the taller tank too.

Jman

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I am partial to length.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
smitty said:
I am partial to length.
Thats what SHE said! :lol: *cymbol crash*

Yes, for mbuna, length is better. It spreads out the males' territories and allows for sight breaks. A shorter in length but wider in width tank of the same footprint can not generally be stocked the same way because even though the footprint is the same in area, the length between males' territories will be shorter.

so, length first. Then width, then depth. Get the longest tank you have room for and can afford, then get the widest you can fit and afford, and if you still want bigger, then go for depth/height.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Guys & Gals.

What if I go for 48 Long X 15 Width & 18 Height?

Any significant difference with 48 Long X 18 Width & 18 Height?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
For the most part, I'd say calculate the area on the bottom of the tank - the height is less important as most cichlids stay closer to the bottom.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IC. Thanks.

Just wanted to know is there is a recommended minimum Width and Height for Mbuna?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
monisaab said:
IC. Thanks.

Just wanted to know is there is a recommended minimum Width and Height for Mbuna?
4' minimum length is a pretty good guideline. Some mbuna are fine with 12" width like a standard 55g but it you can go wider say 18" or 24" then that is better so long as you don't sacrifice length to get more width. No minimum height really but height does give you more water volume which is good for water quality but can make it more difficult to do maintenance in the tank. Iif I were limited to a 4' tank I would go with a 4x2x2 I think is a standard 120g? Would give the most options for mbuna in a 4' tank.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Rhinox.

Am going for a 4' X 1 1/2' X 1 1/2' next week.

Have ordered the glass & will try & make it myself. Will be my first DIY of this kind...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.