Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First question, I have a 10g fry tank for mollies that I plan to get in a while, and I was wondering if any decors were needed. It's barebottom right now.

And second question. I'm setting up a 40breeder and for it I have 3 M. Estharaes 1-2 inches each, a 2-3 (closer to two) inch Kenyi hybrid, two 1.5inch soccolofi, and a 1inch livingstonii.

So that makes 7 fish. What else do you suggest I stock my tank with? ((this wont be happening for a few weeks though))

ALSO: A black background makes their colours show better, right?

·
Registered
180 Posts
if it were me setting up a breeder tank I would stick to 1 species and get at least 6 fry to start and then you should get at least 1 pair. 40g may be on the small side.

Decor? get some rocks lot of them. And sand for the substrate.

I had black background and recently swithced to blue....much better with blue.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
zugbug said:
if it were me setting up a breeder tank I would stick to 1 species and get at least 6 fry to start and then you should get at least 1 pair. 40g may be on the small side.

Decor? get some rocks lot of them. And sand for the substrate.

I had black background and recently swithced to blue....much better with blue.

Just my two cents.
Nono, I meant 40breeder to give a better mental picture, because it's lower and wider and has more surface area than a normal 40g.

I don't plan on breeding my Malawi's unless they want to, and if they do, i'll set up another tan kjust for them.

and sand and blue backing? ok~ I'll try it ;D

·
Registered
617 Posts
To be honest all the fish you listed will get too big for any 40G tank. With the exception of the scolofi. I would stick with some dwarf mbuna for that size tank (one species(1Male,2to 4 females, maybe two species if the dont look alike). The zebras, kenyi and livingstoni will get too large and aggresive for that tank.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh, ****, I thought that would happen. I'll probably end up upgrading the size of the tank before they get that big anyway. ;D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts