Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my tank setup cant decide if i like it its about 3/4 rock for Altos then the 1/4 of shells for the multies

dont mind the stryofoam around it my house gets cold due to no insulated walls so i put that up till it gets warmer to help keep the heat in :lol: will be fixing that this summer kept my house somewhat warm and almost crapped my pants when bill came in at the end of the month so in short i'm cold fish are warm. (might notice two heaters in there but only one is going got over sized one for winter and turned other one off it will coming out once things stay warm)

Also i will be painting the back black here soon

sorry for the reflections tried to minimize them :fish:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I think it looks fantastic, and I really like the rocks. All it needs, like you say, is a background. What are you going to stock it with?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Looks very good :thumb: What kind of rocks are they ? They look great, looking forward to seing a progress pic when stocked :thumb:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yea I really like the layout of your tank. I was curious about the shell bed though and have a question about it. Do the multis dig a lot and move sand around? I thought I read they did. if so, should kiri consider adding more sand on that end of the tank? it looks low to me in the pictures.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well thats because it is low haha the multies in there have moved the sand onto the big rock and made two pile on either side if ya look close can see couple hovering above the shells

i'll take a picture at feeding time if i think about it show ya whats in there Calvus are still getting settled in had em for 3 days and the white makes it hard to get picture of multies

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kiriyama said:
Looks very good :thumb: What kind of rocks are they ? They look great, looking forward to seing a progress pic when stocked :thumb:
as for the rocks no idea rock hunted them out of a field and then bleached the **** out of them if i would guess quartz?

·
Registered
80 Posts
oh ok I see freeze...interesting. When I read your post the first time I didnt realize it was already stocked and didnt see the fish.......now I do.

I used the wrong name in my previous post....I apologize about that.

Great looking tank! Considering plants at all?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
with plants depends who ya ask :roll: my g/f wants plants so i may try a few to make her happy so when down the road i want more tanks she will let me..start the buttering up now haha anywho i'll try to get get picture later to show the fish i have still considering a third species prob open water swimmer but dont know yet

hard to see my fish right now there all under 2inches and my cameras from the 80's(seems like alteast)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I started with a rock-only mbuna tank and told my wife if she wanted greenery, I would need a different tank. Ta-da! :lol: I think your tank looks good as is, but one option would be to stack your rock higher, using less footprint, and giving you an open-substrate area in the middle. Might give you an idea for a third species?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
have thought about that to but my rock selection is mostly larger rocks now after it drys up some might start looking for more rocks but for now goin to leave it alone with any major changes let the fish settle and get happy first :fish: but hoping to add the black background within next few days so should change it a lot will post pictures then

o and i got the go ahead for more tanks once we get the upstairs finished off in the house :thumb:
so more to come down the road :D

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
been watching my tank and there seems to be a sand spiting war the big male multi will take some spit it on the rock and one of the calvus takes some and spits it back in the shells?? went to get my camera and i spooked them anyone else seen this before?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
still doesnt count :lol:

if anyone is still reading on another note was watching the Calvus today trying to guess my ratio of male to female even tho there way to small to tell (think i read some where males face is a more pronounced curve) may have 2male-4female wishful thinking but would be nice. they also seem to be growing some where the others have not

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
back ground added was walking threw walmart and seen some black foam board worked perfect but i forgot to clean the back glass so theres a few smudges :roll: duh on my part i'll fix that another day but pictures here we are

with flash rocks arnt that color but my camera sucks workin to get a new one somtime

without

length shot

from other side

tried gettin a FTS but it looked funny so goin to mess with setting on the camera see what i can do

1 - 20 of 26 Posts