Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to plan our 125-gallon (72" x 18") African tank. The tank is not drilled and the Mrs. really is not keen on me doing it.

I really hate visible equipment in the tank.

What I have in mind (based on my drawing) is using 2 black acrylic panels (1 at each end) to hide the intakes for 2 FX4 canisters and 2 heaters.

The panels would have 3 openings in them and have overflow teeth routed in to their tops. I would use a 3/4" sponge pre-filter behind each of them. The side glass and and 3" at each end of the front glass would be painted black.

Do you think that the Fluval FX4 would draw enough water through the partitions? Could this be effective filtration for a 125 or am I asking for dead spots?

The only things I want visible (unfortunately) are the FX4 returns.

I appreciate your feedback.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Then your like most other fish lovers just concentrate on the fish ..which is ok ! But then your like almost any other . I think the old school way of tubes , valves , plants, etc apart of the environment

·
Registered
449 Posts
You could use inline heaters and then they would not be in the tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Why not a 3D background along the back of the tank? Kill 2 birds with one stone. Make sure fish and fry cannot get behind, no matter which solution you choose.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Old Newbie said:
You could use inline heaters and then they would not be in the tank.
Unfortunately, it appears to be quite a process to use inline heaters with FX canisters (ribbed hose, incorrect sizing).

Why not a 3D background along the back of the tank? Kill 2 birds with one stone. Make sure fish and fry cannot get behind, no matter which solution you choose.
I had considered a 3D background but with only a 72" x 18" footprint, I worry about depth to provide adequate cover (rock). :(

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
I have them in 18" tanks..if you prefer you can get a slimline version but it still blocks the equipment and makes a fabulous background as well.

One more reason to buy API Filstar canisters...perfect fit. Love the inline heaters.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I put an inline heater DIY PVC on my FX6 and I got to tell you it was a pain to get those ribbed hoses over the 1" barb fitting. I got it on there but it took some doing. My hands were sore for a few days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts