Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If i could have a little mix of species would be nice if singke species then that will have to be, have been keeping fish but have heavily planted tanks for last year now so wanted a change, *** alwsys wanted to kerp cichlids but only apistogramna so far

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like Paracyprchromis nigripinnis - blue neon cichlid...Julidochromis ornatus - golden julie..Neolamprologus leleupi..Tropheus Bemba Orange...Lemon Cichlid, Leleupi...so far, also i may go away fir 2weeks vacation at a time, i did leave my other tanks for 3 weeks once no food and they were all fine
In this 100l tank i only have an eheim proffesional 2224 canister 700lph

·
Registered
136 Posts
Paracyps should do fine as a single species tank in 69cm. Juli ornatus would do fine as well, and, with right layout, should allow for another milder species, perhaps a shell dweller like brevis or multifasciatus, or a rockdweller like caudopunctatus or calvus/compessiceps. Your tank is too small for tropheus or leleupi.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the juli ornatus but the other you mentioned are a bit dull( dont mean to sound rude) are there any colourful ones that will mix with juli or the lovely paracyps?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I have been keeping Paracyps for over 20 years and IMO, your tank is too small for them (unless I'm wrong on the size of your tank).
Most people recommend a minimum of 36" but I would suggest a 4' tank.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
noddy said:
I have been keeping Paracyps for over 20 years and IMO, your tank is too small for them (unless I'm wrong on the size of your tank).
Ok noted, its good to gather as much info as possoble from people who know
Cheers

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
John arnold said:
noddy said:
Ok noted, its good to gather as much info as possoble from people who know
Cheers
Anytime.
They are very peaceful towards other fish but can become aggressive towards other Paracyps (mainly male on male).
The females will school together and need room to swim. They aren't huge fish but their not tiny either.
Your tank sounds great for a group of shelldwellers.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
noddy is giving you great advice for a tank that is 27" long.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
awanderingmoose said:
Paracyps should do fine as a single species tank in 69cm. Juli ornatus would do fine as well, and, with right layout, should allow for another milder species, perhaps a shell dweller like brevis or multifasciatus, or a rockdweller like caudopunctatus or calvus/compessiceps. Your tank is too small for tropheus or leleupi.
Could i have julis with Neolamprologus brichardi?

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Brichardi have a rep for killing everyone in the tank when they spawn. Best odds for success in a 30" tank would be single species.

Personally I would not do two rock dwellers like julidochromis and comps in a 27" tank. I would prefer a 48" x 18" tank for two rock dwellers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DJRansome said:
Brichardi have a rep for killing everyone in the tank when they spawn. Best odds for success in a 30" tank would be single species.

Personally I would not do two rock dwellers like julidochromis and comps in a 27" tank. I would prefer a 48" x 18" tank for two rock dwellers.
Ok thanks i dont want any murders going on

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
John arnold said:
DJRansome said:

Ok thanks i dont want any murders going on
Ok so i may go for the julis with lots of rocks so how many and what ratio male females or does any one have a list of the modt colourful fish fir this size tank ?

·
Registered
136 Posts
John arnold said:
I like the juli ornatus but the other you mentioned are a bit dull( dont mean to sound rude) are there any colourful ones that will mix with juli or the lovely paracyps?
Tangs aren't known for bright bold color. Their beauty is much more subtle, and behavior is the real attraction.

·
Registered
136 Posts
John arnold said:
John arnold said:
Ok so i may go for the julis with lots of rocks so how many and what ratio male females
You will end up with one pair. Have a plan ready to handle the other fish. Once they turn aggressive, the subdominant fish will not last long in a tank that size.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
awanderingmoose said:
John arnold said:
Tangs aren't known for bright bold color. Their beauty is much more subtle, and behavior is the real attraction.
Oh ok, ya know i found with my other fish its nit the colourful ones that interest the most as you get used to the colour but it is their behaviour, so it looks like the julis are the ones, how many and what ratio do you think for my tank ,sorry for all the qustions but i wznt to get it right and thsnks all you so far for the advice

1 - 20 of 45 Posts