Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 29 gallon tank with a tetra 40x whisper and a tetra 20 whsiper on it. 150watt heater. The tank previously Containted one male yellow lab. I got rid of him. So now i have some wiggle room.
I have a 16 gallon bowfront tank i could putty the tiger barbs in.
Now i was thinking of doing anything from 6-12 mumba in the tank. It will be heavily rocked with half sand half gravel substrate, i will upload pics possibly tonight, if not tomorrow.

Now Doing this could i pick a decent sized group of random african cichlid juveniles, and throw them in the tank? i heard over stocking isn't a bad think with africans because they can be aggressive. Now befor you flame me and say im a jerk off, if i get negitive reviews ill only put in 4-6 cichlids than some skunk loaches probally.

But What do you guys think, i just traded my yellow lab to a friend of mine for for two african juveniles 1 i believe is a blue hap, the other is a peach colored cichlid with a brown bottom (kind of weird looking)
i Have a small fry tank and a ten gallon tank with guppies that could be used as a fry tank. My lfs would be willing to deal with me if i could bring in bulk packs of fish.

Now what do you guys think? Number of africans? If i get a mixed african tank, can i sell the fry to my lfs as mixed africans, or they no good as being hybrids.

Basically my questions are since my tank is set up and ready to go, what should i do? Overpopulate the fish and do daily water changes and get supplies to keep the water healthy
Or just get a couple and go with the 3-5 skunk loaches?
Any other suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I'd be careful with adding a bunch of random fish whose species is unknown. Little chance for long term success. Check out the 29 gallon cookie cutter setups. That'll give you some ideas. I'd then only go for fish whose species is known and stay away from the tanks at the LFS marked 'mixed africans'.

And we don't allow flaming or name calling here, so hopefully you'll see none of that. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts