Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about selling my 40g and 55g and doing a single 75g or 90g and was debating on placement of the tank. The way my house is setup (very small) it would be possible to place the tank perpendicular to a wall dividing my living room into a living room and dining room and have the tank viewable on three sides (I'll try to put together a google sketch tonight).

My question is does anyone have pictures of tank setups like this where the tank is essentially setup to divide a room but not all the way to the ceiling?

What are your thoughts on this type of setup?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Filtration can be challenging for one. The other thing is that you've basically got a tank without a background which can make it not show as well. If you can stack a high central rock wall somehow, that may show better.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don’t have any photos but I have a seen a setup like this and it was nice. Are you looking for a tank with an overflow on one of the sides as I think that would look best to hide all the equipment in the sump. If you are doing a standard rectangular tank you may need to build/buy a custom stand as most are designed to go against a wall and might look funny just sticking out in the room.
Some fish might be skittish with no long ‘back’ side of the tank but I would assume if they have enough hiding places it would be ok. Mine are in a high traffic area and stalk anyone that walks by begging for food. :fish:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, thanks for all the great input. Please keep it coming.

prov356 - You hit it right on the nose. Filtration will be the toughest part. My first thought was to have an overflow against the wall and build the tank stand so that the tank sits off of the wall 6 inches or so for any plumbing I might need to run. Do you think with an end overflow (sump) and frequent water changes/cleanings I would achieve the needed filtration or do I need to come up with a more creative filter solution? Having smaller tanks I've never used any sort of powerheads for increased water movement, but this might be a necessity is such a setup.

gilberbt - Yes, it would probably be a standard rectangular 75g or 90g. Nothing custom here I am on a budget. I like the look of the tank you shared, especially the stand. I would probably do something similar with the stand except on the wall side there would be material going from the floor to the top of the canopy to blend it to the wall and cover any plumbing coming off the end of the tank. The whole stand would then be a "C" shape.

I'd really like to see some pictures of how rooms look with such a tank setup if anybody can find any.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Riceburner - I did the Google search as well last night, but I was a bit disappointed by the images I found (your image excluded). That's why I started this thread.

The stand in the picture you show is more or less exactly what I was thinking to do except I don't think I would ever have a tank that deep. It looks really cool but seems impractical when you have to clean the tank or catch a fish.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DanniGirl - I've come across that tank before. I don't typically like the "L" look with tanks but that one is excellent.

nick a - Thanks for that link. I'm bookmarking that one in case I end up doing this.

My initial concern was that everyone who does room divider tanks does them with 150+ gallon tanks and mine will only be 75 or max 90g, but I think it will look similar given the small proportions of the room I'm putting it in. I started the google sketchup model last night to get an idea of how it would look. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it tonight or tomorrow to get everyone's opinions.

In the meantime here is a reef setup I came across in my search. I really like his overflow and the way he hides it with the additional piece of wood (pg 2 about 2/3 down the page).

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/ree ... lon-2.html

·
Registered
977 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here is some pictures of mine. Its a 6' 125 gallon dividing my living room and dinning room. On the dinning side there is 3 hoses showing. It has 2 canister filters, one intake and spray bar are basically up against the wall on the right. The filters are of course inside the stand.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So here are the google sketchup pictures. Kind of rough but they give you an idea of what a 90 gallon would look like in my place.

Considering this aquarium will be viewed on three sides, do you see any additional advantages/disadvantages to using Acrylic vs. Glass. My initial thought is glass. The big downsides are getting it drilled and the ugly siliconed corners. With acrylic I'd be scared that I might scratch one of the three viewable sides just from regular wear and tear (cleaning, etc.), but will I get a more clear view considering a lot of the time I'd be looking straight through two sides of the tank?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Better pictures. I got the approval of the fiance (soon to be wife). Watching for deals on a 90g tank on CL.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts

After nagging my parents for several years to get a fish tank, my dad bought this room divider for the living room when I was ten. In a way, it was my first ever tank, but it took many ears before I could lift off the canopy by myself :)

The setup is actually pretty clever with a standard sized tank, and a canopy and cabinet that are slightly longer than the tank. A wooden box fills that remaining space next to the tank, and allows hoses and cables run out of sight between the canopy and cabinet.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Nice apt (house?) Howard! I'm jealous of the spiral stair, although I'm generally too big and clumsy for those things.

Couple of things you'll want to look into:

Is that a fire place next to the tank? Those can easily ruin nearby fish tanks, raising the temperature and wreaking havoc on the life inside. Even if you don't decide to light it, or light it rarely, it often only takes once. You may not even be there when a quest innocently starts it up. Fireplaces are usually designed to heat the whole space, and if it's wood burning, will often have a suggested radius to keep combustibles out of. If it's gas, maybe you can have a way of throttling the flow at the wall, in a way that's not obvious to undo. I would also go with an acrylic tank, just to get the extra thermal insulation.

What about the space where the table and chairs are. Is it big enough? you may not now exactly until you move all the furniture in, but generally I plan on having at least 30" around my tables. That leaves about 20" for the chair, and 10" for the person standing between the chair and table when they get up. Your furniture might be bigger or smaller, and you and your wife might be really skinny, so you'll just have to check.

If the two issues mentioned above really are issues, I'd look at a couple other locations. I think the fireplace is already designed to be a spacial divider between living and dining. Why not enhance the existing divider, by rotating the tank 180 and having it opposite the fire place between the couch and the stair? The couch slides over a little bit, or gets smaller, or swaps with the love seat to make room. I don't know which door is the front door, which is a closet, bathroom, etc... so I'm working with what I got.

If you own the place, you also put the tank in the wall between the kitchen and the dining area. I see the tank being flush in the wall on the kitchen side, and built out with cabinetry on the dining side. Could make water changes easier!

I adore fmueller's room divider tank. The cabinetry and trim are very fitting with the rest of the room. I also like the dedicated fish tank viewing chair. It's not too big, or overwhelming recliner, just a place to sit and talk on the phone or such.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts