Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a pair of WC calvus and a pair of WC comps. Calvus went into a 3' tank and never really hit it off; comps went in a 6' with 4 young furcifers and spawned within 2 months of purchase. Well I sold off the comps last week and moved the calvus into the 6'. Within 1 week, they have bonded and I think, spawned. The female is constantly in the shell and the male is guarding/patrolling outside with occasional ventures into the shell.) In their old 3' tank, I never saw either go anywhere near the shells, but now, shellbound. It would seem from this limited experience that a bigger tank seems to be better for spawning comps, (although, I realise that this is very little evidence on which to hang a firm conclusion!)

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
and yet, a good friend of mine has kept large wild caught pairs in 10 gallons, and never had issues spawning them. I know that is extreme. I think there was a change in the situations that led to the spawning, but to conclude it is simply tank size, is leaving out a number of other potential variables.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Absolutely, :thumb: not a conclusive argument by any means as I said in my last line, just passing on my own experience. I was getting rather frustrated at the female hanging in the corner for 4 months, then bang, she's spawning. Whatever the reason, I'm happy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts