Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Very new here..

I have a 20 Gal tank, heater, filter and Aragonite substrate with Rocks for Mwamba (my demasoni cichlid). I do weekly water changes and keep a close eye on water condition.

Currently, I have one rainbow shark, one demasoni cichlid and one upside down cat fish. They all get along great! The Cichlid rarely bothers the rainbow shark and ignores the cat fish entirely.

I know cichlids are better in a dense community to disperse aggression. Considering the size of my tank, is there any other fish I could add to my setup that won’t pose a problem? Really only want to add one more and preferably something active with personality.

My research has led me to believe that I am already “getting away with murder” by having the rainbow and demasoni together. Most other findings have said I would need 8-12 more cichlids if I want more fish..

Maybe someone knows of something else that will work?

Thank you!
- Zack

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
You could remove the demasoni and stock with fish that work better in the tank size. If you want to keep the demasoni I would not add fish.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
One single Demasoni will largely ignore the other non cichlids, since there is no reason to fight other than to defend territory, and Demsoni don't get very big. The aggression comes when you add more cichlids, so you don't want to add more cichlids in such a small tank. I would add a small group of mid water swimming fish that are not too small or big.
Neon Dwarf Rainbows. Barbs. Giant Danios. Congo Tetras.

If you wanted "Shellies" you would want a small group with one male and multiple females, but I'd remove the Demasoni.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One single Demasoni will largely ignore the other non cichlids, since there is no reason to fight other than to defend territory, and Demsoni don't get very big. The aggression comes when you add more cichlids, so you don't want to add more cichlids in such a small tank. I would add a small group of mid water swimming fish that are not too small or big.
Neon Dwarf Rainbows. Barbs. Giant Danios. Congo Tetras.

If you wanted "Shellies" you would want a small group with one male and multiple females, but I'd remove the Demasoni.
Got it! Thank you for the tips.

I just noticed the rainbow sharks fin was bitten today.. :(

Looks like the plan was a fail. Now to decide if I want just one Demasoni or multiple fish of a different species.. Are shellies as interesting as my believes Demon?

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I've kept Shellies in the past and while their behaviors are different than Mbuna, they are interesting and entertaining in their own right.

A 20-gallon would make a great Shellie tank and not result in chewed on tankmates.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got it! Thank you for the tips.

I just noticed the rainbow sharks fin was bitten today.. :(

Looks like the plan was a fail. Now to decide if I want just one Demasoni or multiple fish of a different species.. Are shellies as interesting as my believes Demon?
You really have no idea. No offense intended. I don't know why people keep enabling you without educating you on your bad decisions so far. Or is that too patronising for this day and age? Sorry, I'm old.. different views from the dinosaur era.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts