Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have asked a few other discussion boards this question with no luck of a response. I have a 20L well planted tank with bogwood, caves, and plenty of rock. I recently purchased a juvenile pair of GBR's and they joined the albino cory and pleco that were already in there. I have read conflicted reports on whether I can place any other dwarf cichlids in my tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would say no, specially if your male GBR has anything to say. He'll fight with the males. The female will probably fight with any female apisto you place in there. I tried GBR and apisto. Cacatuoides in a 29 gallon and no one got along.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I saw on your link that you have 3 GBR's....1 male and 2 females?? How do they get along?

·
Registered
291 Posts
they got along fine until I added the other apisto's then the male GBR took out his agression on the females, wouldnt stop chasing them. I traded the GBR's in last week actually, now the tank houses a pair of Apistogramma Agassizi (Fire Red) with lots of neon tetras. If I had to do it all over again I would just get one male and one female and I would leave it at that. The females would constantly fight. I did have two spawns with that set up but I don't think the female was up for spawning again and that was why the male started harassing everyone. It just goes to show you how changing the stock list of a tank can affect everything. Just my experience.

·
Banned
178 Posts
Ugh, I'd say try it, my rams get along with pretty much any other fish I've put in my tank. Beware of Bolivian rams though, I had one that had quite an attitude. You could try butterfly cichlids.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to add some more rock, caves and continue to plant the tank heavy and possibly try another dwarf cichlid/s in there. Who knows, I do have another tank that is already up and running if it gets bad. Plus, I would like them to breed and show normal cichlid behavior but I don't currently have room for all the babies if they would even live. I guess a lfs would take them. There is a great one in Frederick, MD....Rick's. Thanks everyone.

·
Banned
178 Posts
lil_gold_ram said:
Ugh, I'd say try it, my rams get along with pretty much any other fish I've put in my tank. Beware of Bolivian rams though, I had one that had quite an attitude. You could try butterfly cichlids.
Scratch what I said about butterfly cichlids. I've heard mixed reviews, some ppl say they are peaceful, others say they shouldn't be in with rams, don't take the chance. Right now I have a ram/angel tank and that is working out well. As far as other dwarf cichlids you could try apistos or maybe some gold rams.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I wouldn't go with any more cichlids in a 20 long. If your rams pair up, the other cichlids would be stuffed into only a 4"-6" space.

I would get at least two more cories, they prefer to be in groups and then maybe a school of small tetras that can handle the heat like cardinals or green neons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts