Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I originally got a bunch of fish without really thinking of mixing them. I got 4 lemon jakes and 8 Mbenji peacocks to go with my 8 Saffron peacocks. I am going to put the Lemon Jakes in a new tank within the month, but I wanted to get some suggestions on what I could add to replace them in my 75G tank. Right now its the peacocks and 3 synodontis catfish and 1 bristlenose pleco. I'd like to add 4-8 more fish if possible. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
You could mix haps with peacocks, but you would want to separate the mbenji and saffron (?) peacocks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've read on here you want to get ones that don't color up similar to the others. How would some exochromis anagenys do with the Mbenjis?

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Too big for a 75G and they color only when spawning. How about Placidochromis electra?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DJRansome said:
Too big for a 75G and they color only when spawning. How about Placidochromis electra?
I like them! I guess I was trying to find ones that look pretty different than the Mbeni peacocks. I think it was actually you who told me the Jakes would be too similar. I definitely like the look of the Placidochromis electra though. What defines I guess a fish being able to tell each other apart?

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
You want the peacocks to look different and the haps to look different. You are OK with a blue hap and a blue peacock. Electra have bars...not the same as peacocks.

One species of peacock per tank even if they look different.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DJRansome said:
You want the peacocks to look different and the haps to look different. You are OK with a blue hap and a blue peacock. Electra have bars...not the same as peacocks.

Thank you for the info. I thought you just didn't want ones that looked similar haha. Thanks for setting me straight!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DJRansome said:

Would Albino Taiwan Reef haps work with the peacocks?

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
They might work in a 75G. A little on the large side, but not impossible.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Both your males would be a similar blue.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DJRansome said:
Both your males would be a similar blue.
Very valid point. I am working on getting a 3rd tank so that all my Peacocks will not be with other peacocks. That will leave 8 Mbenji peacocks in the 75G so would like it to be around 18 or so total fish.

If my 4 Lemon Jakes could go into a 37 with my 4 PS Saulosi that would definitely help speed up the process! I've heard bad things though about mixing anything with the Mbunas

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
You want the jakes in a bigger tank and the mbenji in a smaller tank. IDK about a 37G for them however.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DJRansome said:
You want the jakes in a bigger tank and the mbenji in a smaller tank. IDK about a 37G for them however.
Yeah, I have 8 peacocks and 4 Jakes, so thats why I was wondering about the Jakes in the 37G with the Saulosi. I am looking at a 33G long on CL right now. It is 48x13x13 I believe? My original hope was to keep the 8 Mbenji peacocks in the 75G and rehome the 8 Saffron in the 33L and the 4 Jakes in with the Mbuna.....but more than likely from what you're saying I'll need to get another tank for the 4 Jakes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright, so I got another 75G and a 40 gallon.

I am going to split the Peacocks up among those 3. 8 in 1 75, 8 in the other 75 and 4 in the 40 and then leave the 4 Saulosi in their 37 alone. Then I'll get some haps to go with each of the 75G tanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
What are the dimensions of the 40G? I'd choose the most timid peacock for the smaller tank, and that may be your mbenji.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DJRansome said:
What are the dimensions of the 40G? I'd choose the most timid peacock for the smaller tank, and that may be your mbenji.
36x15x16 I believe...........might have mixed those numbers up but I know its 36 because that was important to me so it would fit on an old stand I had.

I'm totally fine putting the Mbenji in there, but was figuring a 36x15 base might be too small for 8 of them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I could also throw the 4 Saulosi Mbuna together with the 4 Jakes. From what I understand the Jakes are also fairly aggressive for Peacocks so it can work since the Saulosi aren't quite as aggressive as some of the other Mbuna. Right now the Saulosi are just hanging out in their own tank with some Zebra Danios and Synodontis catfish

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
I have found a 36" tank to be too small for 1m:4f of Aulonocara stuartgranti Maleri Island but I've never kept the mbenji.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts